Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pop the wall open to insulate the steam pipe or not?

Options
2»

Comments

• Local1Plumber
    Local1Plumber Member Posts: 10
    Options
    I like the PVC fittings much more then mitered joints and I've done my fair share. To take it a step further I was considering ordering the PVC jacketing to cover the insulation on my newly re-piped drop header but decided against it not being able to justify the additional cost. I will post pics once I finish the work.
  • Jeff_H
    Jeff_H Member Posts: 37
    Options
    One thing that I am noticing about PVC fittings for elbows is that unless you order the smallest size, they extend well beyond the elbow so it will cover the insulation for the straight pipe. Is that of concern? Also, there are differing views on whether Z-tape is suffificent to cover the PVC fittings or whether you need to use tacks (which seems like more work). Any thoughts?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,723
    Options
    I used only PVC tape and it doesn't matter if the PVC cover goes over the straight pipe. Most important thing is the thickness of the insulation around the fitting and that it's not compressed.

Compressed insulation is garbage and this is why I don't understand why so many people seem to think it's good to wrap fiberglass around a pipe and then smoosh it down with duct tape.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment