Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beckett Heat Manager Wiring - Installed wrong and trying to determine the best way to connect DHW

Options
Today I have the Beckett Heatmanager which I a very happy with the savings it has provided but I am not happy with one issue. The HM is not connected directly to any circulators or zones. It goes to a TAC SR505 and one pump for 5 heating zones with valves and the other pump for the DHW with an indirect off my peerless oil boiler.

The only issue I have is that the DHW is on priority which seemed good except around this time of year in NE it was taking forever to heat up the DHW, not really but about 40 minutes or so which seemed long. During that time if you turn on another zone it would of course wait until the DHW is satisfied and in general not the worst problem but if you felt chilly wating 45 min to even hear the zone start to get hot seemed odd.

So after researching this I relized that Beckett has this figured out and I would say mine is wired wrong.

So now I have two choices, connect the circ pupm for DHW to the Heat Manager and program it to handle that zone as DHW which would bypass the heat manager function and put the boiler to run to full limit which I am sure will satisfy the tank MUCH quicker since sometimes the temp is around 130 and the pump will just run and run in the current setuo.

My real question is that it appears I can either move the DHW zone to the HeatManager or I can move the main heat zone to the HM and configure the SR505 to become the DHW zone. From what I read separating them so that the heat manger can engage bypass will fix the issue I have and I think it will sort everything out.

My real question is, is there a benefit to put DHW to the zone on the heat manager as opposed to the Tac relay? Sorry for the background info but i think others could have gotten this same hookup.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    to start with, your indirect is prioritized, but what temp is the boiler reaching ? The idirect should bring that boiler to it's high limit setting. Only your heat zones should be operating ODR.
  • cwilliams2000
    cwilliams2000 Member Posts: 140
    Options
    Thats the issue. Right now the HW is on priority but the boiler just sees it as a prioritized zone, it doesnt know its DHW so make it run to the high limit.

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Are you talking about the old style HeatManager( Intellidyne) or AquaSmart? The old style only widened the differential,it held off the burner firing and once it did fire,it would run to high limit.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • cwilliams2000
    Options
    No it's the current Aquasmart. I used to own the old one also in another place and it bugged out on me a few times due to a software glitch. This one is definitely light years better.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    AHHHHH. The joys of watching the unintended consequences. That no good deed goes unpunished.

Those old dead guys had figured out well, how to provide heat and hot water at the same time. So we didn't get screaming calls from irate customers in cold showers with shampoo in their hair.
    The dead guys weren't listened to, as unruly and know it all children tend to do. And they came up with a better idea. "Caller ID" so you can screen your irate calls. Some just turned off the priority switch and there were enough NUTS in the system to do the whole load. Then, the unruly children came up with the idea that a boiler with a quart of water and a burner like a stove top was more than ample to heat water and remove the shampoo.

They're not the ones that get the call.

Like Dan has shown us all for years. Those old dead guys were a lot smarter than given credit by their offspring.

The one thing that old parents live to hear.

"Dad, when I was 16 years old, I thought you were about the dumbest duck in the pond. Now that I am 34, (or 40) and on my own, I can't believe how much you learned in the past 18 years."

Sometimes it happens. Sometimes, you just know it happened.

You just have to listen and pay attention.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Run a wire from the hot indirect terminal on Taco panel to ZR terminal of Aquasmart. Then program Aquasmart for priority on ZR. Done
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • icesailor
    Options
    That would solve it.

That darn ZC-ZR terminal again. Just what exactly is that for again? It seems to work but people are always complaining about something. Complaining for years.
  • cwilliams2000
    Options
    Robert that sounds much simpler than rewiring it all and it would accomplish exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much, I will give it a shot. Thanks again for the help!
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Z-R would be the key. That would bring you to high limit for hot water
  • cwilliams2000
    Options
    After looking it all over i decided to just follow the directions and moved the wiring per the guide. So C1 for DHW is on the Beckett unit and C2 for me is my main house zone and thats on the SR503. Changed the settings per beckett to 180hi limit, 10 diff, no low and TT for circulator and the ZR/ZC handles the rest of the system. Seems to have fixed the issue.
  • icesailor
    Options
    Funny thing about that "ZC/ZR" connection and the amazing things that happen when used as designed.
  • cwilliams2000
    Options
    Very true!