Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water exiting thru radiator vent

Options
I'm getting abt 2-3 cups of water exiting thru my radiator vent. Has anyone had this happen? It happens at the beginning of each heating cycle.

Comments

• Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Check that the rad valve is completely open allowing the water to drain. Also check the pitch of the rad with a level. Should have a slight pitch toward the rad valve.
  • Paul_11
    Paul_11 Member Posts: 210
    Options
    Send pictures of your boiler header
    What floor is this radiator on?
    What operating pressure are you running?
    Since 1990, I have made steam systems quiet, comfortable, and efficient. We provide comfort while saving the planet.
    NYC RETROFIT ACCELERATOR QUALIFIED SERVICE PROVIDER

A REAL GOOD PLUMBER, INC
    NYC LMP: 1307
    O:212-505-1837
    M:917-939-0593
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Also check your main vents, and pressure. If you have inadequate main vents, then more wet steam will be pushed up into the radiator. The radiator vents should be virtually silent, and dry. If they are noisy, then that is a sure sign of lack of main venting.
    If the boiler has been recently replaced, then the water may be dirty, and need skimming, or the supply piping may be improper.--NBC
  • Steaming101
    Steaming101 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    I check for pitch which the radiator has, the valve is completely open. I have 2 Gordon #1 vent in the mains which are big enough I would think.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Is it just the one radiator? Even though you say the valve is open all the way, are you sure that it is, in fact open? Sometimes those old valves will come apart internally and be partially closed. you will have to take the radiator loose and look at the inside of the valve or take the bonnet off of the top of the valve and look at it. Also two other things to look at. What is the boiler pressure? You need to make sure your pressuretrol is working properly. They can fail and they certainly get out of adjustment (way out). Too much pressure will push water out of the boiler and into the mains and subsequently into the radiator runs. The other thing to check is that radiator run off of the main. Is it also pitched back towards the main soo that water can run out of it? Finally, I know from your earlier posting that you haven't had that boiler skimmed in a long time, if ever. That needs to be done.
    KC_Jones
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Not sure what boiler that is, but your near boiler piping leaves something to be desired. Whoever installed that should have used both risers out of the boiler into a header. The way it is now, your boiler is pushing wet steam into the mains, especially with the cutout on the pressuretrol at 2psi.

On second look, it appears to be a bunham independence? smaller than an IN7? I guess the single 2" riser is ok according to burnham.. I would have used both. lower the cutout on the pressuretrol to 1.5 and the diff to .5

Add a gauge. I don't see one anywhere in your pics. Preferably something in the 0-3 psi range. You'll also need a 0-30psi gauge to meet code as well.

I'd replace the pressuretrol with a vaporstat and run it at a cutout of 12oz, cutin of 6 oz to start. Make sure you have plenty of main venting.
  • Bio
    Bio Member Posts: 278
    Options
    Is very possible you rad vent needs to be replace, some inner vents are made out of plastic, specially those sold at the big box stores, get yourself some good vents like gortons or hoffmans,
    Also those water drips on top of the sight glass are a sign that some oil may be in the boiler and making wet steam so more skimming is needed
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Cleearly the water drops at the top portion of the sight glass is an indicator of oil in the boiler water. That can create all kinds of strange things, especially wet steam.
  • Steaming101
    Steaming101 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Yeah I'm defenetly going to do some skimming before I do anything else once it warms up! Tks for all the answers and recommendations.