Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tagging people in posts

KC_Jones
KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,715
Ok so I have tried tagging people in posts with mixed results. If the person has a name with no spaces in it no problems, but someone who has a space in their name doesn't seem to work. Is this something I am doing wrong? I am pretty good with computers, but this one has me stumped?! Anyone else notice this and if so what's the solution? I am thinking once I hear the solution I may go bang my head against a wall. Thanks!
2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Just type the name the old fashioned way. The badges we might receive for tagging others, and other things are a distraction, I think, reminiscent of the stars we used to get in elementary school, only less useful, and smacking of a mutual admiration society.--NBC
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813

Just type the name the old fashioned way. The badges we might receive for tagging others, and other things are a distraction, I think, reminiscent of the stars we used to get in elementary school, only less useful, and smacking of a mutual admiration society.--NBC

Just testing
    bob
  • KC_Jones
    edited October 2014
    I don't really care about badges the point of tagging someone is to draw their attention to a specific post....possibly one they may not have read or to draw their attention for a speedier response to someone. @nicholas bonham-carter
    And it did it again...on my end it looks like I tagged nicholas...did you get a notification that I tagged you?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    It certainly looked like that--NBC
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,506
    KC_Jones said:

Ok so I have tried tagging people in posts with mixed results. If the person has a name with no spaces in it no problems, but someone who has a space in their name doesn't seem to work. Is this something I am doing wrong? I am pretty good with computers, but this one has me stumped?! Anyone else notice this and if so what's the solution? I am thinking once I hear the solution I may go bang my head against a wall. Thanks!

This is from Vanilla:

Hi Dan,

By default, Vanilla doesn't permit spaces in usernames and so the @mention functionality was originally built to not support spaces in usernames. However, this poses a problem when there's an import of an existing forum where the old forum did permit spaces in usernames. As your user has seen, this breaks the mention functionality.

This is on our roadmap to fix, although we don't have a timeline on this.

So sorry my answer couldn't be more helpful, but please know that we're certainly aware of this issue and will be fixing it down the road.

Thanks!

Julie :)
    Retired and loving it.
  • KC_Jones
    Thanks Dan! I am just happy to know I am not losing my mind. Sounds like you have a good team working for you! Thanks for the response!
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • DanHolohan
    Julie is the best. Thanks!
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    One of the members suggested that I have Vanilla add a character to the user names that contain spaces, which would solve the problem. I asked Vanilla about this and they can do it (at a cost to me, of course), but it will permanently change the way the user names with spaces appear.

Thoughts?

Dan
    Retired and loving it.
  • KC_Jones
    Dan, I came up on computers through the old days of DOS and you couldn't ever use blanks. I am so used to that, that I never use them which is why my username has the underscore in it. I still view a space as the devil. My vote would be to add the character, but since you are footing the bill it's really up to you. Also not sure how people would feel about having their usernames changed? Of course it could also fall into the category of "most don't care". I would be curious to see if others have an opinion.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40