Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electric actuator really warm, buzzing really loudly

J_Rod
J_Rod Member Posts: 6
Here is the label information on the actuator:
TRANE
AG23A650T1
X13611004020
3 POSITION NORMALLY OPEN SC/ST
24V 60Hz 6.5WATT ACTUATOR

So I have this heater/AC that blows cold air mostly, only a little warm air yesterday. After I ran it a bit yesterday, this really loud buzzing began and has not stopped since. The actuator thing inside a panel is really warm and has been so for weeks, probably over 100°F to the touch. I am concerned it is broken since it only blew a little warm air, and the rest is cold, and of course the heating and buzzing. The buzzing is intolerable, so can someone advise me how to disconnect it short of cutting the wires to it? I am also slightly concerned of an electrical short and a fire from this.

Also, I am on a first floor above some type of heating unit, I believe runs on steam, and for months have heard occasionally these metallic clacks as when you hit a metal post with something metal, and now recently have been hearing a lot of banging noises. It is definitely coming from below my room. I do not know if these are related, but this is very troubling. Thank you for taking the time to help.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Are you in an apartment? Have you reported these problems to the building management?
    Noisy pipes are a sign of bad system maintenance.
    If they are interested in fixing this, encourage them to come here for advice.--NBC
    J_Rod
  • J_Rod
    I'm in a dormitory, and yes, maintenance is really bad here! That's why I came here first to find out what I could do to fix this heating unit, since they are unlikely to do anything. Are electric actuators always very hot, and buzzing?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Can you find someone to report this problem to? There is not much we can tell you to do with this. The banging noise you hear is probably a sign of poor maintenance resulting in higher fuel use (your tuition dollars at work!)--NBC
    J_Rod
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    You smelled something burning before that buzzing started.....Right?...wink ..wink
    J_Rod
  • Paul48
    You'll probably continue smelling something burning until that buzzing stops...Right?
  • Paul48
    You see...they don't care about a buzzing noise, but they certainly can't afford a fire in a dormitory.
  • J_Rod
    Haven't really noticed a strong burning smell before, but I just smelled the actuator and there is a slight burning smell.

Bottom line this for me, please - is this an urgent problem? If it burns out, will it just stop working, or start a fire?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    I would call maintenance tomorrow at the latest, and tell them it smells hot-maybe burnt.--NBC
    J_RodRobG
  • J_Rod
    edited October 2014
    @nicholas bonham-carter‌ The maintenance man came today and said the problem is with the electric switch, and it needs to be replaced. It will blow warm air if you just disconnect the actuator from the switch, as in emergencies. We'll see if it works.

@Paul48 I see what you mean now - I tell them it's burning and they will have to address the problem.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    The banging and clicking sounds you have heard are signs of a system in need of attention, for reasons of economy of energy usage and safety, so don't let your complaints stop with this!--NBC
    J_Rod
  • J_Rod
    The university steam pipes are all original and do need replacing, but they would rather invest in new buildings than maintenance of existing things. Not much I can do about that...
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    its unlikely the pipes are bad. more likely is a lack of simple maintenance.--n
    RobG
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    The maintenance man wants you to unplug the wiring to make the unit work? That could bite the school in the butt if you were to get shocked / electrocuted. Do they even plan on fixing it?
  • J_Rod
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, but since the wires are insulated, is it a serious shock risk (24V)? I guess when you disconnect the control, the valve for hot water just opens and it should always blow warm air (for emergencies). There must be some a fan under the hot water pipes, or cold water pipes when it works as an AC.

The maintenance worker who came said he was going to come back in the morning to replace to control panel, but hasn't returned yet. I have mostly morning classes, too, so I'm not going to be there to let him in. The buzzing has stopped, though.