Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Got a Seek Thermal thermal imaging camera... pictures say a thousand words

agurkas
agurkas Member Posts: 238
I might be a tech geek, but I don't treat myself with gadgets. My day is filled with high tech stuff, so I enjoy low tech at home.
But I did spend $200 to get IR camera attachment for my phone and oh my has the urgency to redo cheap pipe insulation and insulate those elbows on team pipes has gone up.

Yes, you will notice none of the risers are insulated. But even those pipes that are, the 1/2" stuff is just not cutting it.

Comments

• agurkas
    Also, I was ready to tear into the wall to figure out where the heck the hammering pipe is exactly. As you can see from the pic below, not hard to find now
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Pretty compelling evidence. Someone posted similar pics a couple of years ago showing the effect of adding a reflective backing behind radiators as shown by exterior heat loss. Needless to say, I immediately added it behind ALL my rads.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Waterbury Steam
    Waterbury Steam Member Posts: 53
    This is very cool. I've been looking for a good way to check for broken steam traps. My IR thermometer doesn't do so well on the reflective surfaces of the traps.
  • agurkas
    vaporvac said:

Pretty compelling evidence. Someone posted similar pics a couple of years ago showing the effect of adding a reflective backing behind radiators as shown by exterior heat loss. Needless to say, I immediately added it behind ALL my rads.

What material did you use? I was thinking doing like a stainless steel or copper
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    agurkas said:

vaporvac said:

What material did you use? I was thinking doing like a stainless steel or copper
    Aluminum sheet or even the reflective bubble wrap insulation should work well.