Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condensate hot water heating circulator

Options
Steve_210
Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
I had a boiler inspection inspection today, we used A bronze B&G 100 for the superstore indirect,also installed a Y strainer. The inspector passed the job but asked why I did not use a bronze Water lubricated circulator.
When I pointed out the B&G had a much larger impeller for any debris that might make its way into the circuit.
His answer was you already have a Y strainer. And I tought good point!!!
Any other reason for using a 3 pisce oil lubricated circulator.
This was just a conversation he was not telling me to use one or the other.
Any thoughts?

Comments

• RJMCTAFO
    RJMCTAFO Member Posts: 113
    Options
    We have multiple customers with a 007 on a steam system for an IDWH with a strainer. It gets cleaned and flushed at every tuneup and the pumps are all 10 years old or newer. I wouldn't hesitate personally but some may feel different.
  • Steve_210
    Options
    Bronze or iron?
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    The B&G is an air-cooled motor, whereas the TACOs are water-cooled. Motors and acidic steam boiler water don't mix well.
  • RJMCTAFO
    Options
    Standard iron circ. In a lot of situations such as this if I am quoting I do my best to inform customers of the possible downside to doing something to save a buck versus doing it the more expensive way. I find it runs about 50 50 in regards to the customer making the decision to spend the money.
  • JStar
    Options
    RJMCTAFO said:

Standard iron circ. In a lot of situations such as this if I am quoting I do my best to inform customers of the possible downside to doing something to save a buck versus doing it the more expensive way. I find it runs about 50 50 in regards to the customer making the decision to spend the money.

If we can't do a job the right way, we don't do it. Period. All of my customers seem to appreciate that about us.
    SWEIRobG
  • RJMCTAFO
    Options
    I understand what you're saying Jstar. Like I said in previous post some will feel differently. In our area a "standard" install consists of a few couplings and reusing everything but the boiler. I'm sure that's true in a lot of places. It's all where you personally draw the line. I am a one man shop and have been growing every year because of installs like this. We are slowly getting people to realize quality and workmanship but it takes a while. :\ Sometimes people ask me if I know what I am doing because I want to do a heat loss or edr measurement to size a boiler. The other guy knew what boiler to use just by looking at the house so why don't you?

I have been a lurker here for some time and have admired a lot of the work guys such a Jstar and Steamhead along with a bunch of others do. It's made me better at my job for sure.
  • Steve_210
    Options
    I have to say I see loads 007 Iron circulators on a hot water basement loop.
    When you mention three-piece bronze a lot of customers think you're trying to sell them something they don't need.

The old one lasted 6 years just put the same back in again.

I would definitely not use it on an indirect, but having no heat in your basement and having no hot water is a huge difference.
    I know it's not the right job but some people just don't want to spend the money.worst-case scenario you,re going to replace the circulator within two years.
  • JStar
    Options
    I always sympathize with people's budgets, which is why I only offer the right parts upfront. We're technicians first and salesmen second.