Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Constructing the vent antler

Options
Emeliza
Emeliza Member Posts: 30
I am adding 3 #2 Gorton's to my two mains ( it's a split main, one going one direction and the other going the other direction). My current vent is 3/4", the Gorton is 1/2". My question is: in constructing the antler should I use 3/4" pipe between the tees and an elbow that have 1/2" threading (on the top riser) to accept the Gorton's or can that antler portion be all 1/2" pipe, tees and elbow? I've looked at GW Gill's blog and pictures on his maximizing venting article. I'll have one vertical tee, a horizontal tee and an elbow to accommodate the 3 air vents. My new system is in and now all that remains is to install the main vents, balance the radiators an finished insulating the pipes, especially all the new near boiler piping. I am just using the boiler for hot water now, too warm for heat, but the cold will be here soon enough

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    1/2" pipe for the antler will work fine
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    First, it just so happens I ate a lot of paint chips as a child.

Second, I feel like I read or perhaps made the comparison that a Gorton #2 vent basically vented at the same CFM as a ¼" hole.
    If that's the case, I'd think that 3 Gorton #2s would be choked by ½" pipe and that ¾" pipe would be perfect.

However, I'm not ruling out that the previous two points are not related.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    RobG
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    two gorton #2 max out a 1/2'' pipe... four gorton 2's pretty closely maxes out a 3/4''..use 3/4''
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    My Bad. The way I read it, there are two mains and I assumed the intent was to put 2 Gorton#2s on an antler on one main and the other main would have just 1 Gorton #2
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    We've noticed, through endless timing of steam travel, that even if the pipe size of the antler is correct, the smaller sizes can reduce airflow by a noticeable amount. I have a rule of thumb that only exists in my head at the moment...

1/2" = 2 Gorton #2
    3/4" = 3-4
    1" = 5-6
    1-1/4" = 7-10
    1-1/2" = 11+

Adding vents outside of this range can slow down the venting rate. Even if the manifold is reduced on the same antler, some of the vents will be slower.