Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Do Circulators Lose Their Circulating Ability With Age?

Options
What's the useful in service life? I have 2 Taco 007-F4 for the heating loops, both are 20 years old.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Water well pumps loose efficiency with age. Heating circulator pumps will too I'm sure. The only time I ever saw it happen is when either the impellor broke off or something chewed the vanes off.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    depends on the life they lead.
    Properly sized and installed? Good fluid or water quality, no grit, rust, etc?
    No oxygen ingress from non barrier radiant tube?
    Adequate air removal device?

That is a hearty pump, could last another 20.

Without measuring the performance, or removing and doing a visual inspection, hard to say.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Docfletcher
    Docfletcher Member Posts: 487
    Options
    Both Taco's as well as the 1 Grundfo's are whisper quiet for what that's worth. All 3 heating zone baseboards pipes are too hot to touch for more than a second, both at the entrance and exit's of the finned baseboard. That would suggest flow I think.

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    The only wet rotor pumps like the 00s etc that I have seen "wear out" are either cast iron ones used for steam condensate heating (wrong application) or something like the 006 bronze used for aquabooster duty- the impellers can turn to powder. Otherwise they last decades without any apparent degradation-usually to the end of life of the boiler!
    Docfletcher
  • Docfletcher
    Docfletcher Member Posts: 487
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks all. It's all good info. So I guess I can save my dough at least for now.