Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Problems with gorton vents.

Options
Hello. I'm a homeowner with steam heat. I had Hoffman vents on my radiators when I got the house, but some of them didn't work. So I replaced them all with Gortons. Out of 7 gorton valves, 4 of them will not close completely when heated and make a symphony of sounds when partially closed.

I live in Denver, and I know steam here is about 10 degrees cooler than elsewhere. Does anyone at high altitude have any experience with hoffman vs. gorton vs maid-o-mist or whatever. Could that have anything to do with it, or did I just get a bunch of bad Gortons?

My pressure maxes out at 1.5lbs right now. At some point, it may have gone as high as 2.5 before I started tweaking, I don't know if that could have damaged the vents.

I don't think I have any choice but to replace them (again!), but I'm sure loathe to try more gortons.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Doublecheck your pressure with a good 0-3 psi gauge, as I believe your problems are from high pressure, and lack of main venting.
    What main vents are on the system? You probably need more of them too.--NBC
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    Take an air vent from a quiet radiator and put it on a noisy radiator and visa versa. If the noisy rad is still noisy and the quite rad is still quiet, then you know that the issue is not with the air vent. Ideally, this should be done with same size air vents.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    They should still close when they get hot. If your pressure is to high they will blow. But they are made for use on standard pressure one pipe steam so they should close tight. Give Gorton a call, as they are very nice people over there and if there is an issue, they will take care of you.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.