Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fireplace radiators...

FranklinD
FranklinD Member Posts: 399
I just have to ask...I've seen these in several older houses over the last few years. Usually seems to be in the shallower, coal-burning fireplaces, but I could be wrong.

They're small cast iron radiators, usually at the very back of the fireplace. I've run across maybe 3 of them total. Usually all in pretty rough condition, as I would expect.

What's the purpose behind locating them there? Helping to heat the water somehow when having a fire? So the fireplace is always a heat source? To offset the heat loss of the flue when there's no fire? To provide a draft for starting a fire? So many questions.

Anybody have any idea of the real purpose?

Thanks for satisfying a curious mind!
Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited October 2014
    Are you sure they were actually a radiator? I believe you are seeing a fireback which basically heated up to throw more heat in the room.

A lot of the old coal burning fireplaces were like a cast iron insert, and very ornate maybe even resembling a radiator. It's all heated mass. Fire bricks absorb heat , but it takes a lot of fuel to warm them up verses metal.
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    I had to stick my head and hands in to make sure. Like a narrow single section radiator....definitely a radiator, with a supply to the top and a return at the bottom. And an air bleed. Maybe it was added later by some kooky people, I suppose anything is possible around here. All 3 houses were the same vintage in close proximity to each other. If I go back I'll take some pictures.

Thanks!
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems