Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need advice on cracked baseboard

Options
ansky
ansky Member Posts: 41
I have a steam baseboard radiator that is 10 feet long and runs the length of the wall in my dining room. The radiator developed a 2-inch crack at the end of last winter. Whenever the heat comes on there is water dripping from the crack. I had my heating guy look into replacing the one section of radiator that has the crack, and he is saying that particular model is no longer available, so they would need to replace the entire 10-foot baseboard at a very significant cost.

I posted 2 pictures. The first one shows what the entire radiator looks like (2-pipe steam). The second picture is a close up of the crack. You can see they attempted to seal it with an epoxy, but that did not hold. Do I have any other options for fixing this crack? I want to make sure I explore all possibilities before paying for a replacement.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    A competent welder using the proper rod can weld cast iron. Baseray runs about $50 per foot IIRC, so that might make sense, as long as there no other hidden issues in the section.

Does your boiler use a lot of makeup water? Are there rusty or crusty stains on your pipe or fittings?