Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pipe pitched wrong

Options
Shemp
Shemp Member Posts: 45
One of the dry returns on my system is pitched the wrong way. (from house settling) So there is
water pooling in it. The pipes are over 100 years old.
Should I attempt to lift them up? They need to be lifted about 2 inches at
one end. I'm afraid they might break.
How much give are normally in these old pipes?
Thanks.

Comments

• Shemp
    Options
    I have to squish way under the house to do it.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    This solution will involve more than some jacking up, unless you can jack up that end of the house. The radiators fed from this line will have to be jacked up as well, with their risers shortened, I would think.--NBC
  • Shemp
    Options
    I was going to lift the rads up as well. On wooden blocks.
    Maybe it would be better to replace that section of pipe?
    The problem is part of it is in a very tight area, it must have been a small guy that originally crawled under there.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Is this a dry return or part of a steam run that feeds one or more radiators? It would seem that if it is a steam run and it is sloped the wrong direction due to settling, if you can disconnect any radiators connected to it, that pipe may spring back up (or be able to be lifted) assumming there is enough head room, into position and you can reconnect the radiator(s) using a shorter riser.
  • Shemp
    Options
    It's a dry return.
    I'm going to crawl under the house and get a better look of what I have to do. There is definitely water pooling in the dry return though and I'm guessing it's been doing that for 50 years or so because previous owners have told me the house has been settled like that for at least that long.
  • Shemp
    Options
    In my picture, which is turned sideways for some reason, It's the lower pipe that's pitched the wrong way.