Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cheesecloth and mastic

So, we've decided to have all of our asbestos insulation removed from our steam pipes, and I'm going to redo the whole thing in 1.5in fiberglass on the pipes, thermal insulation on the fittings, and a mastic cast over the whole: in short, I'm going to try the G.W. Gill approach.
Now, I know that I paint the mastic on, wrap in cheesecloth, and paint on another layer. Here's my question, though: how many layers of cheesecloth? I figure that if my pipes are 1.5 in diameter and the fiberglass is 1.5 in, then I'm looking at a 4.5 in. diameter. About 15 in. around, then. The cheesecloth I've ordered is 36 in. wide. Do you think it will be good enough if the cheesecloth goes twice around the pipe?
Thanks! I'll put up pictures when I'm done.

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    sure can...ive gone once, sometimes two or three layers..i try for just one layer, but if im working on trying to make a bump or wrinkle less noticeable i will go more wraps..
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Detroiter48214
    Detroiter48214 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks! That sounds good to me. I looked into the PVC method, but it was more costly and, to me, it seemed like it may actually be more difficult. So we'll see how it goes.
  • Detroiter48214
    Detroiter48214 Member Posts: 15
    So, I forgot to post these a while back after I finished the job. Thanks for your advice!

• vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    WOW! Thanks for posting that. Was it difficult? I want to try doing the same sometime soon.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF