Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can I shut off my two highest radiators?

Options
I'm remodeling my upstairs and all the drywall and insulation is down in the attic where there are two radiators. Can I shut off the two supply valves and run my boiler? Since these are the two vertically highest radiators is that going to pose a problem?

Thanks!

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    Assuming we're talking about a steam heating system, the short answer is yes.
    The long answer is to not leave them like that for longer than you need to. When you are able to turn them back on, lower your thermostat so the boiler shuts off, wait about an hour, then reopen the radiators' valves and set your thermostat wherever you like it again. That will prevent a slug of cool water, if water does collect in those radiators while turned off, from rushing down to a hot boiler.

If you've got a hot water type of heating system, then just turn them off and don't worry about anything. Turn them back on at will.

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Aberagejoemn
    Aberagejoemn Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Thanks, and yes it's a steam system. I have one radiator removed upstairs so shutting off the supply wasn't a problem for that one. The other has a garden valve type handle and it wouldn't budge. I'm too nervous to put a wrench on it to shut it off so I turned the air vent upside down assuming that would lock the air in, which didn't work; the radiator warmed up. I think the one burst will get me through the weekend.

Thanks,
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    If turning the vent upside down did not work, that air valve is probably leaking air. You could try removing that vent and replacing it with a 1/8" NPT threaded plug.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    Yeah, turning the air vent upside down should of worked. Try a different air vent.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.