Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Which Nozzle to use.

Harvey Ramer
Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
I have been tasked with repairing this gluttonous hulking dinosaur.
http://www.discountstoves.net/Glenwood-3050-Automatic-Multi-Fuel-Furnace-p/3050gw.htm

The one I am working on is older and does not have the hx fins on the oil combustion chamber. It is rather just a 2' diameter by 2' long round tube that exits into the back of the fire box. I am lining the tube with a wet blanket and patching the cracks with furnace cement. Also I am replacing the oil burner.

Question is, what kind of nozzle might be best suited for this unconventional application? I was thinking of maybe starting with a type B @ 40° to 45° angle.

Harvey

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    What burner are we talking?
  • Harvey Ramer
    AFG Beckett 9" tube.
  • Bob Bona_4
    70 degree is as narrow as I would go on the AFG. This isn't a L or N head? Just the typ F head?
  • Harvey Ramer
    Burner head is L1. Tube assembly is AFG90MB.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Go with the 60 and jack er up to 150 or so and see how it looks. The 45 might impinge?
  • Harvey Ramer
    Thanks Bob. I'll give it a try.

Harvey
  • Bob Bona_4
    Let us know..I had a Tarm rehab once..similar.
  • Harvey Ramer
    @Bob Bona This furnace has no barometric damper. What are your thoughts on that? I know oil should have one but what about the wood?

Harvey
  • Bob Bona_4
    Getting above my pay grade Harvey :) My first thought is I can see the oil draft be damned in the interest of proper wood draft?
  • captainco
    captainco Member Posts: 792
    Wood furnaces and boilers usually require a -.05"W.C. draft at the outlet. The draft for oil will be what it will be. Excessive draft makes the wood burn to fast and low draft smokes up the house.
    Bob Bona_4
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    captainco said:

Wood furnaces and boilers usually require a -.05"W.C. draft at the outlet. The draft for oil will be what it will be. Excessive draft makes the wood burn to fast and low draft smokes up the house.

And if you install a barometric damper like a Field RC on the flue. you should see how red the pipe can get when you get a chimney fire. You hear that jet engine roar in the chimney, you go outside and look up at the chimney, and think that a V-2 Rocket went down the chimney.

• Harvey Ramer
    I think, the heck with the BD. I can somewhat adjust the draft to the firebox by adding or removing the turbulators in the flue passage ways of the hx.

Harvey
    Bob Bona_4