Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water Radiators on a One Pipe System

Options
sramon
sramon Member Posts: 2
I've obtained a couple replacement radiators that exactly match the steam radiators in my home, but they appear to have been used on a water system. I'm also replacing the steam runs that will feed these radiators (1.5" black steel). I understand that I'll need to cap one end, remove the bushing and any existing nipple for the old water valve, and tap for a vent.

1) I believe all of the valves for my other radiators are 1.25", is this what you all would expect?
2) Seems I should also use 1.25" valves for these, even though they were previously used for water. My contractor mentioned using 3/4" instead. Seems like this doesn't make sense for OPS. Opinions?
3) Any good resources on one-pipe steam valve installation? Any recommendations on parts?

Any reservations overall about the things I've mentioned? I live in the midwest, and steam experts are hard to come by. Thanks for any input.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    Why are you having to replace these radiators?
    Definitely keep the same diameter of steam valve as the pipe which feeds the radiator.
    The connection in the radiator to the valve is particular for the valve, and even though it may look like it will fit another new vave, it will not (this is not necessarily your situation).
    There should be a blank untapped boss on the backside of the radiator about 2/3's up, which can be drilled out, and tapped for a vent, using a NPT tap.--NBC