Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

EDR Calculation- help?

jch1
jch1 Member Posts: 200
Hi again,

I measured out my radiators, and plan on calculating the square footage of steam myself, but I was hoping someone could help me out and double check my final results. The heating professional that calculated the sq. footage himself came out to approximately 352 square feet of steam.
In measuring everything, I didn't take into account between tubes and/or sections. All dimensions and numbers are formatted as follows:
height from floor x length x depth
number of tubes (depth) x number of sections (length)

Hope this makes sense and thanks!

Office
17" x 49" x 10"
6 tubes x 20 sections

Living room
17" x 54" x 10"
6 x 22

dining room
17" x 36" x 9.5"
6 x 13

entryway
35" x 15" x 6.5"
4 x 6

1st floor bathroom
22.5" x 11.5" x 4.5"
3 x 5

2nd floor bathroom
35" x 11.5" x 6.5"
4 x 5

master bedroom- two radiators same size
17" x 26.5" x 9.5"
6 x 11
17" x 26.5" x 9.5"
6 x 11

bedroom 2
17" x 24" x 9.5"
6 x 10

bedroom 3
17" x 24" x 9.5"
6 x 10

Comments

• jch1
    Not sure if this is relevant, but this is a single-pipe steam radiation system. I currently have a 250k btu boiler that has gone kaput.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    If those are all tube type, I come up just shy of 300.
  • jch1
    Yes, they are all tube type. Thanks!
  • jch1
    One more thing to note is that I measured the height from the bottom of the sections as opposed to the ground. Measuring from the ground would add 2 inches to every height.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    edited September 2014
    How is your piping? Everything good and insulated as it should be?
    If it is, I would go with something that has a DOE heating capacity of around 83,000 btus. A Weil-Mclain EG-35 falls into this category. The EG-35 is 100,000 input and 83,000 output.

This is using a 15% pickup factor.

Many feel you need a 33% pickup factor but I do not. If everything is insulated well, piped correctly and you vent appropriately a 15% pickup factor or even smaller will work beautifully.

You didn't mention if this was gas or oil so I picked a series I'm familiar with.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • jch1
    I came up with 349.415 by measuring from the floor. Actually, no, my piping in the finished half of the basement is exposed because I guess that's what supplies heat to the basement. There are 46 feet of exposed piping which leads to the radiators on the first floor.

I know the best option would be to insulate this piping, but if I didn't do this, and I calculated 349.4 sq. ft. of radiators, would it be best to go with a Peerless Series 63-04L (383 sq. ft) or 63-04 (458 sq. ft.) Am I on the right track?
  • ChrisJ
    If that series is what you want I'd go for the 63-04L for 383sqft. The 458sqft model is just way too much bare piping or not.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • jch1
    I have the option of the Peerless, a WM, or a Bryant boiler. The responses from the other thread I started seemed to suggest that Peerless or WM was the way to go.
  • ChrisJ
    I think they're all fine as long as they are pipped correctly and water conditions are monitored.
  • Bio
    Bio Member Posts: 278
    If it was my system I'll go with the Burnham IN5 at 358sq.ft, 33% pick up is included, very likely it will not cycle on pressure which makes it more efficient, near boiler piping is part of the boiler and it must be done at least by manufacture's instructions at minimum, main and radiator venting is important as well, getting the boiler installed correctly is the first step