Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Talk # 3 with John Barba and Dave Holdorf

Next show is slated for 10/4/14 at 12 noon Eastern time. If you want to attend, and this will be an excellent show, send an email request to markeatherton@iapmo.org

We will be discussing DT versus DP pumps, their application and how to size them. Any time Barba is in the house, a great time is to be had and people leave educated and entertained.

If you are a manufacturer, and are a member of the RPA, we'd love to hear from you and your team about being an interviewee on this show. We have confirmed Dan Holohan, Bob "Hot Rod" Rohr of Caleffi, Richard Trethewey, the Grundfos team, the team from Swing Green drain waste heat recovery and more.

Join us won't you!

Be there. (Large echo).....
It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
Harvey Ramer

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Show 2 is now available at http://youtu.be/TCzopvJUivQ

Let me know your thoughts. I thought it was an EXCELLENT show, and I learned a WHOLE bunch I hadn't thought about before.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • MichaelK
    MichaelK Member Posts: 34
    Smart phone won't load this but looking forward to watching via pc soon. Will episode 3 be put out via YouTube as well?
    Michael Knight
  • Mark Eatherton
    Yes, this session will also be available for review, but after this show, you MUST be a member to see archived shows.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Everyone should be a member of this. Worth it.
    Retired and loving it.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    I have some ideas/feedback for the show. I love the whole thing.
    I didn't think I would, but there's something really satisfying about putting on some big headphones, tuning out the rest of the world and immersing in an hour or so of "Hydronics And You: A love story" (as I like to call it).

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    4Johnpipe
  • Mark Eatherton
    John, we are ALWAYS listening to our members. If you want me to call you, send me a personal message and I will call you. I know you won't be doing much running around in the near future...
    JohnNY
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Good evening Mark, any idea when episode #3 will be available for viewing?

Thanks in advance!
    :NYplumber:
  • Mark Eatherton
    Sorry Moe, I've been up to my neck in critical business issues (budget) and probably won't have a chance to convert and transfer until I return from a trip next week. As soon as it is up, I will let everyone know, especially you.

Thanks for your patience,

ME
  • Mark Eatherton
    Boiler Talk show number 3 is now up and running at You Tube.
    http://youtu.be/vj5SA5hHu_Y

This show featured John Barba and Dave Holdorf of Taco, Inc. talking about the application of VS DT circulators.

Just a reminder, that after show number 3, in order to see archived shows, you MUST be a member of the RPA. You can attend the live show without being a member, but will no longer be able to access the archived programs until you join the RPA, which is really inexpensive considering all that we have to offer.

Join us won't you!

We have a BUNCH of great shows getting lined up.

Thank you for participating.

ME
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Wow, BC...just....wow.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    What's the harm in questioning new technology? It's not an attack on the presenter, but the data or lack of.

My experience tells me numbers can and do lie, and can be manulipted. Ask the Wall Street boys how they do it.

Any theory or concept can be modeled or simulated, plenty of FEA software available and look at what they model in Solidworks for example.

BTU meters and data loggers are easy to come by, honest and reliable.

Send the concept to Brookhaven for a non biased opinion. Or the "kids" at MIT. I'll bet they could model, simulate, define, and build a working model. Probably an animated video of it with a Morgan Freeman voice over:)

My testing indicated the digital GPM displays on ECM pumps do not tell the truth. Again a flow meter, ideally lab quality will prove that. I have tested 4 different brands and they all have errors, up to 30% under some flow conditions.

If you don't have access to test equipment, a stop watch function and a 5 gallon bucket is believe able reality of pumped flow rate.

I would suggest ALL the pump manufacturers indicate that error potential in the I&O. Some installers are banking their reputation on those numbers. Or do away with the gpm readout and give us something more believable, like a temperature readout.

Just to clear up the intention and function of a PAB. It's a valve that attemps to flatten the pump curve in simplest terms. As a group of valves close off against a fixed speed circ, the bypass valves diverts to prevent excessive velocity in the remaining zones. Yes some jobs do need high or medium head circs. I've yet to see a fixed speed, flat curve" circ.

This valve will be replaced by variable speed circs as that technology becomes more common and understood. There are some applications where a PAB makes sense and are usefull.

To question the new theory or concept of delta T distribution and VS is not an attack on the presenters. It could be Elmer Fudd or Stephen Hawking presenting the concept and the questions would be the same.

A homeowner telling me a certain pump is going to provide an 85% fuel savings! might be a bit hard to swallow. We are bumping up against perpetual motion if that number keeps growing :)

Question Authority.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream