Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

TRV's

Options
Hello again,

I wrote on the steam wall about a month ago about losing my city steam connection.
I’ve accepted the fact that I have to get a boiler and learn and understand its maintenance.
I've found a great contractor, but would still like some outside opinions on some things.

I have an old three-story house that is broken up into apartments.
This is a two pipe system with 6 zone valves controlling the apartments.

It has been recommended to me to look into getting TRV’s and doing away with the zone valves.
Is switching to TRV's truly more efficient?
I’m a little reluctant to give up my zones and fearful that the boiler would be running constantly to supply 22 radiators independently.

Thanks for your advice and opinions,

Deedee

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    If your venting is generous, then I think you can run the system without any zones. I have a 7 unit converted house with 55 radiators (one-pipe, so no zones), and it is pretty even. We use no setbacks, and can run a little cooler (65 degrees).
    Your two-pipe system would probably be more even than mine.
    Zone valves are bound to add a degree of complexity to the system, and will eventually fail. You should also use a gravity return, and have no pump. If you have an auto feeder, make sure it has a meter showing water consumption. In the first month, watch for any excessive consumption.
    Keep the pressure low, in the ounces range, and make sure your boiler is not over-sized!--NBC
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    I assume you will use a tekmar controller or equal instead of thermostats, and in which case I agree trv`s are the better solution. This would keep the boiler from running constantly.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    I don't think the boiler will run constantly unless the thermostat is in front of a door to the outside. On my big system, I am using a Honeywell vision pro with a remote sensor in the most northerly, and exposed bedroom, on the second floor. I have the control in my apartment.
    If you have a radiator which is oversized for the room, then that would be a place for a TRV, or a better radiator valve, capable of throttling down the steam flow, or you could use an orifice in the valve to reduce the flow. Most of the rooms will have the original radiator, which was sized properly for the heat loss of the room.--NBC
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options

I don't think the boiler will run constantly unless the thermostat is in front of a door to the outside. On my big system, I am using a Honeywell vision pro with a remote sensor in the most northerly, and exposed bedroom, on the second floor. I have the control in my apartment.
    If you have a radiator which is oversized for the room, then that would be a place for a TRV, or a better radiator valve, capable of throttling down the steam flow, or you could use an orifice in the valve to reduce the flow. Most of the rooms will have the original radiator, which was sized properly for the heat loss of the room.--NBC

Honestly, right now I can't see ever going back to just my VisionPro controlling the system.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment