Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zoning Wiring for single Stage AC and gas heat

The zoning panel from the house we were fixing up was stolen but thankfully the wires were cut and labeled . Want to install new zone panel but the wiring of this unit is different. Here is the existing wires for the equipment and the two zones:

a. First set of wires from Air handler\furnace runs straight from unit to wall - appears to run straight to outside condenser and NOT to the previous zone control panel.

b. Second set is one pair - red and white. Presume this powered zone control panel.

c. First set of thermostat wires is marked zone #1 - these appear typical

d. Second set of thermostat wires is marked zone #2 - these appear typical

e. Zone #1 damper control wires - 2 wires which is typical

f. Zone #2 damper control wires - 2 wires which is typical

g. Exterior condenser appears to have 3 sets of wires running to it - this is not what I usually see and has me confused. It appears to have equipment wiring and the two thermostat wires.

Questions:

1. With this wiring it appears that the condenser and furnace is controlled by the thermostats - not the control panel. Is that possible as this is not what I typically see.

2. What does the control panel do then - other than open and close the dampers? Control unit 24V power?

3. Can a Honeywell HZ311 control panel work with this wiring?

Thank you very much for clearing up my confusion and helping me understand how this is wired.

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Was this a master/slave system? Once we know that we can proceed. The condenser typically gets 24v power from the air handler. The zone panel just sends signal from Y to complete that circuit.
  • mdm00001
    mdm00001 Member Posts: 3
    No, it was not a master slave system.
  • Bob Bona_4
    edited September 2014
    Then the answers are A-the zone panel controls the furnace and the ac via the system side of the panel. B-the panel interfaces the stats and dampers and sends signal to the equipment. 24v to the panel only powers the dampers and stats. C- the HW panel you state can work providing you have adequate conductors to stats and dampers and the system wiring is correct
  • mdm00001
    mdm00001 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you Bob for the information and prompt reply. What you describe is typical but does not appear to be how this was originally wired - hence my confusion.

The equipment wiring did not originally run to the zone board. It went between the condenser and furnace only. It does not appear that the system side of the zone control board was used.

Is it possible the equipment was controlled by the thermostats directly - not using the zone board as the equipment does not appear to have been wired to the zone board? Or a different type of zone board\wiring plan?

Thank you very much for the help and I apologize if I am not being clear.

• don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Go with what bob is saying to do.it matter not what they did there a new kid in town.Get the new panel n dont forget the temp sensor in make it right.it could have been slaved or, the guy that installed it may have skip the panel n sensor n had a lack in judgement.
  • Bob Bona_4
    That wouldn't be typical, no. Today's HW or EWC panels use 4 wire (5 wire better to steal power for stat power and conserve batteries) to all stats. More conductors if we are talking more than a one stage heat/cool conventional system. Everything from stats must go thru panel and the panel tells the heat or ac what to do.