Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Small rad in floor without a proper vent.

Options
Shemp
Shemp Member Posts: 45
I have a rad that's built into the floor of my house.

I would like to get it working. The problem is that this little rad only has a valve on it to bleed air out. It doesn't have a proper vent that stops the steam from escaping.

Steam really quickly starts flooding the basement when the valve is open!

The clearance from the rad to the floor doesn't allow for a vent.

I would really like to get this working as its a great foot warmer.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Shemp
    Options
    Here's a shot from the basement showing the valve.
  • Don_197
    Don_197 Member Posts: 184
    Options
    THAT is just about one of the coolest things I've ever seen.........and I can't WAIT to hear the guys's recommendations! 8-)
  • ScrewLoose
    ScrewLoose Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Congratulations, you have something I have never seen.
    Not unusual to see convectors from the 1970's recessed into floors, but it's quite unusual to see a steam radiator.

Okay, to the problem.
    It is a STEAM system, not hot water?
    We can presume that it worked in the past, not we ask ourselves the "Why is it not working now?!"

Go get a long level and check the pitch of the pipe that feeds the radiator, it's possible that something has sagged or bent out of pitch causing water to pool up in the pipe or the rad preventing steam to flow... the radiator itself may have sagged lower than the steam branch pipes as well.
    With steam pitch and level are VERY important, and small bit out of alignment and the whole system suffers. Pipes have to be so that water can flow away from the rad and so new steam can rise into the rad.

Another option that NEEDS be done is to add a Hoffman Steam Vent where that bleeder valve is, steam rads need to "breathe" and for that you need a Hoffman right where that bleeder is.

It could be that simple, get a Hoffman Vent and check the level and you should be back in business.

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    What is the dimension of height between the tapping and the floor?
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Use a Varie vent. Only thing that will fit.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • ScrewLoose
    ScrewLoose Member Posts: 20
    Options

Use a Varie vent. Only thing that will fit.

I didn't even think of the small space issue between tapping and the wood floor... yeah a varivent would probably be the only type that might fit that small gap.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    The thought of using a VariVent makes my skin crawl.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Is this a one-pipe or two-pipe steam system?
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Shemp
    Options
    Its a one pipe steam system.
    The rad works, its just that I have to go down in the basement and open that valve to let the steam into it. After about 5 minutes there is steam shooting out!

I think I have my answer... I need a short vent that will fit under the floor. I'll check out the Varivent.

The hoffmans are too tall unless I tap a new hole and put it in on an angle, but will it work properly on an angle?

Here are 2 more photos. The first shows the steam shooting out of the open valve. haha.
    And the second shows the rad from the top with the grate removed.

Thanks again!

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    I can't figure out if that valve is original (it looks old). If it is original, how was it supposed to work? If it's not original, what was there before? Things that make you go HMMMMMM....

Rob
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I'm wondering if, originally, there was some type of drip leg/tube that connected either to the open end of that valve or to the radiator, where that valve is screwed in and ran back to the nearest wet return. If there was a tube connected to the open end of the valve, you would be able to close that radiator off when you choose to.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    This one is driving me crazy, Dan, Frank? Please?

Rob
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    What about trying a tap into the pipe feeding the rad, and putting the vent in there?--NBC