Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Which filter element?

wml52
wml52 Member Posts: 9
I have a Micro Flo that uses a #264 filter element, I'm curious as to which would be the better filter element 1A-25 felt or the micro spun type? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Rip it out and put in a Spin On. Like you have on your car.

They gave up on those wrapped up wool socks maybe before you were born.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Preference wml52. I still prefer the felt Generals over the microflow elements. Make sure it has the green bio gasket if you go that way. I also like Garber, but wouldn't change it over, unless you have plugging strainer and nozzle problems, and even then, I have had no issues there with Generals. 50 nozzles up
  • icesailor
    So, in other words, if there's any possibility of a problem, change the filter assembly to a Spin-On for trouble free service and not have to go somewhere to look for green biohazard gaskets.

If you change the oil on your car or truck, you use the same tool to get it off. No hassle.

I don't know who is older, Bill or myself. I haven't installed any wool sock filters since the 1990's. I may never see another one in my life. If I did, I would rip it out immediately and put in a REAL filter. That always worked for me, no matter how small a nozzle I fired it through.
  • billtwocase
    I don't think he is having a sludge issue Ice, but if it was getting by his filter, and wants to upgrade, that would be my choice, but existing Generals out there are trapping/filtering just fine in my neck of the wood. I also like a filter that comes off with ease. Those spin on's go on hand tight one year, next you have to snap off black nipples to replace it. Also those gaskets will fail on spin on's over 30% bio. They are standard garbage rubber. General is the only one to offer a bio gasket. I don't like massive oil spills, so bio gasket it is. A plugged nozzle is a moot point when DEP is there looking things over.
  • billtwocase
    I think you are also confusing General with the string Fulflo Ice? Those filter nada
  • billtwocase
    you may even remember the Purolator filters that had washers, spacers, multiple gaskets, and springs. I seen them all from Wix, Fireomatics, and all the Fulflo's
  • icesailor
    I'm sure you have. I've seen most of them too.

I've never had a spin-on break or one I couldn't get off with a standard filter wrench. I've never broken any nipples.
    Some that I came behind must have used a 3' pipe wrench on a spin on. If it's tight, I back it up with a pipe wrench like you're supposed to. I also goop up the rubber with a slop of Super Lube synthetic grease. They always came off easily for me and never leaked.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Big fan of the Garber too. I do a lot of Tiger Loop Ultras with that bad boy as part of the assembly. Even more trick is the Hg gauge option.