Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler system winterization

i have a summer home water heat, basically its a sentinal slant fin boiler with baseboards throughout the house. i never use the boiler and because i snowbird to arizona during the winter months. so i'd like to winterize the system and forget about it. what it be better to have the system filled full of heating system antifreeze or carefully empty the system by blowing it out will air? i understand the risks of blowing the lines out, but there are openings at the low points of the lines, so the pipes can be thoroughly blow out.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited September 2014
    Don't

blow it out . I cannot even count how many times I have had to change burst piping and components that were blown down . Things you cannot see like trapped water , all the low loops below the floor between baseboards always biting people who thought they did the right thing in the **** .  Have the system charged with the appropriate amount of antifreeze % and have a good winter in AZ .

By that token , same with your plumbing , have a plumber fill your entire system with RV antifreeze (100%) from a barrel with a pump . run all faucets until solution comes out of all of them . Don't forget the traps . When you come back in the spring just turn on the water and all the faucets until all color and taste is gone .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833