Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One Pipe Main Venting Question

Options
nycpa
nycpa Member Posts: 108
HI,

I have a one pipe steam system with one vent on the main opposite to the boiler. I was looking through Dan's book and it noted that having a main vent right at the end of the main line isn't a good idea. I think I have an hoffman vent there. I am not sure if it even works but there isn't water leaking or anything like that. I want to take the hoffman vent out and add about pipe that extends back about 12 to 15 inches with about four Gorton #4 main vents. There is also slight water hammer at this end. How does this sound? Any problems? Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,480
    Options
    Good move

Running a pipe back along the main to get the vents away from the end of main drop to the wet return is a good move, just make sure the added pipe has slope to let water find it's way back to the return. I did the same thing a few years back and I'm sure the vents are much happier not to be at the end of the main any more..  Make sure the main and any radiator feeds all have slope and check for any dips in the piping that might be pooling water and causing hammer.

How long is the main and what size pipe? Once we know that we can tell you how many Gorton #1's or #2's you might need. Gorton #2's are big so see if you have enough head room for them.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Vent

Is that vent at a tee that drops down to the wet return? How long is the main? Is there more than one main? Water hammer is typically the result of steam hitting water that has settled along a pipe run that isn't tilted adequately. Is that pipe tilted sufficiently towards the boiler so that condensate can run back into the boiler? Is there a sag along that section of pipe that needs to be corrected? Depending on the length of that main, I'd use a Gorton #2 if you have the head room. If not, use a couple Gorton # 1 or a couple Hoffman #75. It is better to have these vents 12 to 15 inches back from the end of the main but many are located right at the end where it turns down to drop into a wet return and they work fine. If there is more than one main,make sure they all have venting. The key is to have those vents and to know they are working and that the pipe runs are tilted in the right direction and have enough pitch to allow the condensate to get back to the boiler. Where the mains leave the header, they should be tilted away from the boiler and where they return, they should be tilted towards the boiler. Make sure your radiator vents are working properly as well.
  • nycpa
    Options
    main line

The main line is less than forty feet and two inches, one main line, don't think I have much head room. It is the main area that drops to wet return.

Secondly, can you guys post a link to a bronze pump and aqua stat and thermometer for a hot water loop off the stream boiler, would be for about 25 feet of baseboard with the copper line being 80 feet. Thanks
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,480
    Options
    At least 4ea #1's

That 40 ft of pipe contains about 1.5 cubic ft of air. If space is an issue you probably want at least 4ea Gorton #1 or Maid O Mist #1 main vents.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
  • nycpa
    Options
    thanks guys

Thanks alot