Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HELP: Any A/C condenser coil repair experts near Bergen county NJ???

I have a 5 year old Goodman condenser unit R410A 2.5ton 13 Seer. No more cool air and it's 1 month out of its 5 year warranty. Serviceman came by today and says that the condenser coil tube is cracked and there is a leak. He says that the coil tube is too thin for soldering and the whole unit needs to be replaced. I'm a novice and am looking for a second opinion. I have a very old house and the condenser unit that came with the house (second floor) is still running strong. The irony is that the second zone I installed 5 years ago (Spacepak system) died on me so quickly. Please advise.

D Cha

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Leaking coil

I guess that depends on where , EXACTLY WHERE ,the leak is. I had one today, the leak is on the copper tubing of the discharge header going into the cond coil.Pretty much , a normal repair. So ,take a looksee and then decide.
  • Spence
    Spence Member Posts: 316
    Too Thin for Brazing?

I wonder what they did at the factory, then.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Who's a Brazer ? Who ain't?

You use a delicate touch!
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Delicate Touch:

Its hard to have a "delicate touch" with a dual tipped Turbo-Torch (I didn't know they made such an animal) with a MAPP gas cylinder.
  • dcha
    dcha Member Posts: 50
    Thanks

Thanks for your replies. Any recommended professionals in the northern nj area that can take a look for me?
  • Spence
    North Bergen

Check with Thatcher; JStar on the wall. You'll get something unusual; an honest opinion.
  • dcha
    Glad to hear JStar recommended again

He installed a new steam furnace and header for me last year!
  • Spence
    Leaking Coil

I sure would like to know how it was determined that you're one month out of warranty.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Warranties:

My next door neighbor just had to have a leaking coil replaced. It was under warranty until it needed to be replaced. Then, every aspect of the cost was no longer covered.

After the dust up over the implied warranty coverage, it was discovered that the company had over 60 complaints od deceptive work and advertising.

In other words, it was warrantied until it had a problem. Then, it wasn't.
  • Spence
    Dust Up

Ah, yes. The infamous tail light warranty.
  • dcha
    JStar came by today

Coil definitely cracked. He called Goodman to see if there was a grace period after warranty expiration. No dice. Can replace the coil but with that cost, might as well replace the whole unit and have a new warranty. Glad to have Joe.
  • Spence
    Warranty

Remember that your warranty begins when the unit was commissioned and not when it was manufactured or installed.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Be sure to fill out the warranty registration card and sent in or go on line and do it. I have fixed many cond. coil leaks on Commercial equipment but the cost for that job in your backyard is not worth it. New unit is the way to go.