Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

weil mclain v efm boiler

Options
norb
norb Member Posts: 44
I may need to get a new boiler . 

the one I have had for 39 yrs is a weil mclain.

my aunt has an efm.  Which of the two would be considered better, or is there

another brand considered better than these.

The one that Weil Mclain currently has available that looks like my existing one

is the model EG Gas Boiler.  Is this considered to be  a good residential

boiler nowadays?   any input would be appreciated.   I have natural gas for steam radiators.

four radiators in upstairs, four on first floor, main runs thru basement with Gorton #2's at end of main  Also, my existing Weil Mclain does NOT use any electrical. Has a self-generating gas component they way it was once explained to me.  I was also told that this is no longer manufactured.  Was wonderful feature---if electric power was lost in winter, this baby would keep running.

thanks

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,704
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Sizing

The brand of the boiler isn't very important. What is important is that the boiler is properly matched to the radiation in the home and most of the time they are not. Do not go by the boiler that is already installed.

The next thing that is equally important is that the boiler is piped correctly. The hard part is finding someone who actually knows steam systems well because it seems like most boilers get piped incorrectly. Once you find someone that really knows what they are doing just go with whatever boiler brand they install.

If possible I recommend asking questions on here after you get some recommendations just to make sure they are acceptable. It's much harder to get things fixed after the job is complete.

Unfortunately you will not be able to keep your self-powered system as they are no longer manufactured and I believe are against code as far as new installations.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Micro pile

I have heard that the non-electric gas valve is still available for use in the homes of members of religious communities whose teachings forbid the use of electrically powered devices, such as the Amish, and I wonder if this is true.

Even though it requires the use of a standing pilot, the storm-proof capabilities of this could be useful in areas with many power outages.--NBC