Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Directing heat down from Overhead steam baseboard radiator?

Options
mmm613
mmm613 Member Posts: 1
Hi,

Making a bedroom from what used to be a basement garage: has an overhead steam baseboard radiator in a top corner. My idea: to put an intake fan right behind that radiator (there is an area behind the radiator) and direct the hot air through in-wall rectangular duct 3 -1/4" by 10" (?)  down and to the floor . -Of course to hook up the fan with a thermostatic switch attached to the radiator. 

The problem: Cannot find an vent (exhaust) wall fan quiet enough for the bedroom and designed for hot air ( a regular bathroom fan is not designed for steam radiator temps).

Any suggestions about a fan or any alternative heating solutions would be greatly appreciated.  (And yes, of course I am on a tight budget - otherwise I wouldn't convert garage to bedroom :-)(

Thnaks

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Wanting:

You can have ANYTHING you want.

Just not EVERYTHING you want.

Decision time about what is important and how much you are willing to pay for it.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Steam

Radiant energy is like the Wonkavator...

"An elevator can only go up and down, but a Wonkavator goes sideways and slantways and longways and backways and frontways and squareways and any other ways that you can think of..."

A fan won't make heat go anywhere, though. It can make air go up or down, but heat goes everywhere on its own. Are you having trouble heating the room?