Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bryant 244-7 Series A Gas Steam Boiler

MikeMens
MikeMens Member Posts: 30
I have a Bryant 244-7 Series A gas Boiler (yes its very old)

I have 1 or 2 bolier segments that are leaking and I would like to replace them.

Any suggestions as to aftermarket or discontinued/rare parts distributors where I might find them? I am trying to keep this thing going for 3-5 more years then replace. (kids in college)

I also want to replace the gas valves and pressure controls (valve sticking & not responding to thermostat

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Mike

518-810-7222

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Needle in a haystack

Finding old discontinued boiler sections will be very difficult. Anyone who has been keeping old sections has been doing so because he thinks they are VERY Valuable!. The amount of work to replace them , if you could find them would be more than installing a preassembled boiler.

Why not add up the EDR of your radiators and then we can help you find an appropriately sized boiler from pex supply or some such place. Do not go off the plate from the old one, but measure the rads.--NBC
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    +1

Apart from the cost, in time and parts--if you can even find them--of restoring an antique, have you considered the greater efficiency available in the newer boilers?
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • MikeMens
    MikeMens Member Posts: 30
    Bryant 244-7 Series A Gas Steam Boiler

Thanks for the replies.

I hear You and agree its just a $ issue. Kids in college etc

just looking for alternatives that dont require me to pull my kid from college

A couple of people have said adding sealer to the boiler to seal the leaks might buy me some time

Any comments on that option to get me thru the next couple of years?
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Nothing can seal boiler leaks.

Boiler additives that claim to seal or prevent leaks just cause foaming and wet steam. I think you need to explore financing options.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Won't work long term

Boiler sealers might work for a week and maybe a month - if your lucky. They will NEVER work for years.

I suggest you look into financing now while you have some control over the situation. If that boiler has to be be replaced on a cold January night you will pay a lot more than you would now when installers are not going crazy.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge