Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cast Iron fittings

Options
KC_Jones
KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
Question for well anyone really.  So I got price quote from my local distributor for all the fittings and pipe to install my new steam boiler.  First thing that struck me a bit odd was they do not stock Cast Iron fittings.  They carry Ward brand fittings which is good, but on every fitting I chose they list it as non stock item freight charges apply (even on a 3/4" fitting).  Now I live in an area that is mostly old houses and a ton of them have steam heat so this surprised me.  My question, is this common for suppliers not to stock cast iron?  I understand I am just a homeowner and probably won't get as good of a deal as a contractor, but the prices they quoted...well let's just say my hind quarters are sore from reading the prices.  I compared to a certain online retailer and my local guy wants 40% more.  I may contact them back and see if they can do any better.  I really want to patronize the local guy because it is what I believe in, but I have never ever encountered such a huge price differential in my life.  I deal almost exclusively with my  local lumber yard instead of the big box guy because my local guy is actually cheaper and gives fantastic over the top service.  The plumbing supply has been nice to deal with and very prompt with my inquiries, but the stocking issue and price are hard to swallow.  Oh and the other reason I want to deal locally is that if I need something last minute I want to be able to go to him, but again the stocking issues makes that impossible.  Just curious if anyone has thoughts on this.
2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15

Comments

• Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,416
    Options
    Cast iron

The guy you went to is he plumbing or heating or both.

That's just cracks me up, I would ask a neighbor to call and just ask if they have cast iron fittings.

I know what you mean, I went to this supply house other day they quoted e on a pex manifold, then they didn't even have it in stock. I was like what the hell..
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    They do both

They sell steam boilers and do all plumbing.  I figure one of 2 things he really doesn't stock them (which makes me wonder about all the local contractors installing steam boilers) or he is giving me the run around because I am just a homeowner.  This isn't a small outfit either, they have I believe 6 different locations.  He also misquoted some of my items, I asked for a low pressure gauge 0-20 oz and he quoted me a 30 psi gauge.  I also asked for a boiler drain cock and he quoted a y strainer?!  That one really threw me.  I sent and excel and a pdf of my list it was quite clear what I wanted.  I was just curious if people had thoughts on this?  Give him a second chance or go to the online store?  I will admit a couple of the more "special" items I knew would be better online, but wanted to get a full quote for comparison.  And I thought this would be simple...lol.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,416
    Options
    Go in person,

Just as a walk in. I'm so pissed because it just happened to me yesterday. I feel like righting a letter to the company itself.

My girlfriend and I argue about online but I think she's winning. It's just easier to order online if you know what you want. Instead of waisting time and gas. I just stick with two supply houses.

He'll we eve get our groceries online, the deliver between 9 and 12 and text the phone saying that where next then text again when 5 minutes away
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    cast iron fittings

Here are my thoughts:

http://www.supplyhouse.com/pex/control/search/~SEARCH_STRING=cast%20iron%20elbow

Free shipping over $300.

No tax

This is your new supply house.
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    That is

The online retailer I am using for comparison.  I will go that route if the local guy doesn't want my business.  I don't mind pay a "little" extra if I get service, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.  I have ordered from them before and they ship fast and are great to deal with.  The local guy said 1 week lead time on non stock items, I think supply house can get it to my house faster than that...wait I KNOW they can.  Oh and the reason I have been working through email at this point is their hours are difficult for me.  7-5 and I work 8:30-5 so that only leaves me a very short window in the AM to get to them, no weekend hours either.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,740
    Options
    Supplyhouse

Yep, I just ordered some cast iron to put my steampipe in from pexsupply aka supplyhouse.com

Problem is for some reason you now have to search for cast iron fittings rather than find it in a drop down menu.  Other than that, same great service and same great Ward cast iron.  I piped 98% of my boiler from pexsupply.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    cast iron on supplyhouse

Chris if you click on fittings you get the page in this picture and there are the cast iron fittings.  Sounds like everyone is saying just do supplyhouse.  
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Cast Iron

Our supplier stocks every cast iron fitting up to 4" for us. But, we're also there 2-3 times a week.

Where are you located? We might know another local supplier.
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    I am in South Central PA

Hanover (17331) to be specific.  Seriously I would love to deal with a local supplier (within 15-20 miles), but if they don't seem to want my business I will go online.  If anyone knows of a supplier I am all ears.  I don't want to mention the name of the one I already contacted.  I am actually about an hour away from Steamhead I wonder where his supplier is?  Steamhead are you out there?  Don't know why I didn't think of that before lol!
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Cliffy
    Cliffy Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Is there a difference....

It was mentioned that "WARD" is a good brand fitting.

Is there a difference between that and, say, the ones Lowes stores sell with the letter "M" emblazoned on the side?
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    Yes

Ward is made in USA and the lowes stuff is mostly if not entirely imported.  If you work with them more than a couple times you will see the difference in quality.  The imported is okay in a pinch maybe for something small, but I would never do an entire job with it unless I wanted to curse and redo my work a lot.  I am only a homeowner and I have had this experience many times.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Isn't "M" Mueller?

Isn't "M" Mueller?