Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

who builds?

Options
bilc16
bilc16 Member Posts: 5
I'm adding a second story on my ranch. My plumber suggested venting my oil burner out my existing chimney with a 7 inch aluminum extension instead of direct power vent. Who would build the chimney? Hvac guy, plumber, mason, or guys framing? The chimney is only there for the current boiler and I had orig thought to direvt vent to save space.

Comments

• gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Options
    Chimney company

This is specialty work. Find good chimney company.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Why not add...

a piece of all fuel piping....

http://www.duravent.com/ProductCategory.aspx?c=8
  • bilc16
    bilc16 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    good idea

Kcopp, that's kind of what I was thinking. Who would install that (burner to the roof)?
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    venting

Aluminum, not being an oily guy by trade,i was wondering if aluminum is an acceptable vent for oil….Not even sure of product model or location, so not for me to say….
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Aluminum/Oil:

Aluminum is not an acceptable vent material for oil. Steel or Stainless Steel only.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    how about

Clay?
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    tricky one

last year I had to repipe an oil boiler .Plumber moved old boiler into garage but ran flue pipe through soffit into existing chimney.I am the first to admit I am not an oil guy but it was during sandy and the homeowner could not get their oil company.Long story short,I broke open the soffit and I promise you the underside of first floor wood was covered in burn and scorch marks.We installed a triple wall vent.When we got boiler running you could keep your hand on this vent.Be very careful.If building a chimney you use a chimney company.How old is your boiler.Before you spend a fortune on addition I try to get customers to start at the engine room.My last customer has a 70 gallon soaking tub with a 30 gallon water heater.They have no money to upgrade heating system but spent over $6k on fixtures.Do you access to gas?
  • A.J.
    A.J. Member Posts: 257
    Options
    Direct vent oil

Depending on the age of your boiler maybe you would think about a direct vent oil boiler. I'm not a big fan of power vents on oil I've seen to many fail, the condensation takes its toll . What ever you do listen to icesailor  aluminum is not acceptable  
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    oil flue extension

If you have a masonry chimney you want to extend up, you can get a mason to extend the chimney but you would need a listed stainless steel liner full length. A suitable alternative would be to extend it with a listed factory chimney from the top of the existing chimney using a masonry anchor plate with a liner adapter. Note that only a few factory chimneys offer this adapter. Another alternative would be to run all type L vent all the way. Do you really need a 7" vent? Must be a huge house to require a boiler that big.

FYI, aluminum is approved only for CAT I gas and never if the flue once served oil. It will eat it up in short order.