Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heart attack

Techman
Techman Member Posts: 2,144
My best friend/pal/buddy/confidant/mi amigo is in hospital in very critical condition. he was seeing a Doc. Get yourself checked out, its painless. I knew all 5 of his kids before they were born. Damn .

Comments

• Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Get checked

I am going to a friends funeral today. Heart attack ! I am feeling lucky as an ECG did not show anything before leaving for Portugal in July. My doc had me make an appointment with a cardiologist. Two weeks ago, I did ultrasound and a stress ECG. I have at least one partially blocked artery. The slightly higher blood pressure is caused by a higher heart rate. I take a half pill every morning to reduce the heart rate plus ibuprofen for a hip pain. After we get back from Europe on September 12th, I go in on the Sunday September 15th to get the sewer rooter through the arteries.

If you start to get sweaty or your hands feel numb at times, get a stress ECG.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,124
    Sorry

I'm sorry to hear that techman. I hope all goes well.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Gas exchange analysis

is a good idea (assuming your doctor is equipped for that.) 
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Heart

Thanks,guys! What is that SWEI?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Gas Exchange Analysis

is kind of an enhanced treadmill test, where they measure your O2 uptake and CO2 output -- from which they can determine your basal metabolic rate, max O2, and a few other tidbits about how well your entire heart/lung system is doing its job.  Fairly popular in sports medicine and gaining traction for detection of heart disease http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11570115

This is even slicker than the machine I was tested on a few years back http://mgcdiagnostics.com/products/view/ultima-cardio2
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    I had a heart attack a few years ago...

I was lucky. I get a nuclear stress test every few years, and came out just fine each time. Ultrasounds of the carotid arteries too.

But one Sunday I was going to a play at the local theater at 3PM, but at 2PM I did not feel right. Sort of like gas, but a little too high for that. Then my arms started to ache a little. So I went to the ER instead of the theater and described my symptoms. They immediately admitted me without all the usual waiting, did an EKG and X-ray (they always do a chest x-ray when going into a hospital, blood tests, and rushed me to the cardiac catheterization lab to examine my heart from the inside. Put a stent into one of coronary arteries that was 90% or 95% blocked. I am supposedly as good as new. They said if I had gone to the play first, I would not be typing this today.

My dad did not do as well. One day he had a nuclear stress test and passed just fine. A couple of days later he told my mother he was dying, which he then did. Better than dragging it out, I guess.

You never really know when your number is up. It is best to prepare as well as you can, especially if you have dependents.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,261
    Sorry to hear.

I certainly hope he pulls through, Terry. It sucks loosing someone close.

Harvey