Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

An interesting discussion.

Harvey Ramer
Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,261
Lets talk about which components you are using and why.

I'll start things off with Air Separators.

I have been using Caleffi for a while now. I used to use Spirovent. I chose Caleffi because it not only is serviceable and works well, it also has an interesting side effect. Whenever possible, I place the separator at the highest point of the near boiler piping. The circ will be pumping away from the separator and will have shutoff flanges. The return piping will have a ball valve at a level higher then the boiler.

This allows me to add water conditioner easily without any tools. I shut off the circ flange valve and shut off the ball valve on the return and also the PRV. Then I drain a gallon or so of water from the boiler drain. At this point I unscrew the cap from the top of the separater leaving a nice big hole to dump in my corrosion inhibitor. Next I replace the cap and turn on the valve to the PRV. All the air immediately exits the system. Then I turn the circ flange valve anf the return ball valve back on.

We are back in business! It only takes minutes, no tools required ;-)

Harvey

Comments

• jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    caleffi

I actually used my first caleffi air seperator and liked it a lot.I have started using their dirtmag on my mod/con installations.I really like all their products mixing valve with gauge the list goes on.Feel very confident in their products and no I don't work for them.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,791
    thanks gentlemen

for the support.

I like that idea of adding conditioner into the cap. Easy access on that fine thread, o-ring seal. i'll credit you with the idea, Harvey, in my training slides :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream