Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1" Spud into 45 ell, do I cut the smaller sizes on the wrench off?

Jells
Jells Member Posts: 566
I've got the apparently classic problem of the new 1 pipe radiator valves I had installed by a plumber are now too low by up to 3/4". Reading here it seems the best answer is the old double 45 ell trick, but the spud wrench is too long with the smaller sizes to install the spud on the 45 ell. Do I just cut it off, or am I missing something?

Also, what's the best thread sealer for this, blue dope, grey dope, or tape?

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Which?

IMO, Both. Quality Tape and quality paste.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    Tape N stuff

I use blue monster tape or Megaloc dope. If the threads are old and rough I'll use both. If they're in good shape I often go for the blue monster tape alone.

If it was mine being I'm a perfectionist I'd replace the length of pipe to bring the valve up to the correct height. I'd do this even if I had multiple radiators I needed to fix.

But like I said, I'm a perfectionist and I often suffer because of it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Patrick_North
    Patrick_North Member Posts: 249
    One shot spud wrench

I'm not a pro, but I've made a single use spud "wrench" by milling down a piece of hardwood to fit the spud, then simply used a pipe wrench to crank on the block of wood. Worked fine. Just be cautious with the soft spud fitting.

Good luck,

Patrick