Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit

Flush Valve

RobGRobG Member Posts: 1,850
I have customer with a gas station that has a shallow well with a jet pump and awful water quality. He refuses to add a filter and water treatment system. I can't get the flushometer on the urinal to keep working (it keeps getting blocked in the orifice of the diaphragm). I am trying to find one of the old style units that has just a spring loaded twist handle. My suppliers just look at me with a blank stare. Any help would be appreciated.




  • MikeL_2MikeL_2 Member Posts: 258
    Central Brass


    Try Central Brass model # 0331 - 12 for a straight valve, and 0333 - 12 for an angle valve. I'm fairly certain these are 1/2 '' ips on the supply side, and a 3/8" slip joint spud connection.........
  • RobGRobG Member Posts: 1,850

    That is what I am looking for. Now my only problem is figuring out out if there is any way to connect it to a Sloan stop and a 3/4" tailpiece. If not, is there any type of 3/4" tamper-proof angle stop? How do I connect to a 3/4" tailpiece / spud?

  • RobGRobG Member Posts: 1,850

    Still trying to figure out how to connect a manual valve to a urinal. Any ideas?

  • icesailoricesailor Member Posts: 7,265

    I thought that you had that figured out. Most Urinals come with a fitting on top that equals in size, 1/2" Nom. Copper tube. The compression nut that is on the flushometer should fit 1/2" copper tube. You need an adapter to go into whatever valve you choose.

    I hesitate to say anything because what you are doing is extremely illegal and potentially unsafe. There's no check on the supply and there's no vacuum breaking device on whatever you put in. Assuming it is a wash down type and not a blow-out type, there is still water in the top that the rest of the system can be contaminated by. I wouldn't personally do it. Its a public place, and a public bathroom. You never know who or which public prickle might come along, lose their mind, and get someone in serious trouble. You never know what some AHJ had for breakfast on any given day that didn't agree with him. Now he is in a foul mood.

    For me, something like buying a cup of coffee and getting down the road to discover that someone dumped the remains of the Hazelnut pot into the extra dark-Bold coffee pot. For me, that is something I look forward to as much as a boat ride in a slow rolling seaway. Sure to make me sick.
  • RobGRobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Nothing wrong

    There is nothing wrong with what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to either find an entire unit with a manual valve (they were used forever before the flushometer came out) or adapt to the existing Sloan stop and tailpiece (with vacuum breaker). Any ideas?

  • icesailoricesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited August 2014
    Flush Valves:

    I understand the owners problem with crappy water. Just about any Sloan diaphragm valve will work and work well were it not for the crappy water. There are many ways I can think of adapting something to work. If the water was fixed, the problem will go away.

    One never knows who is watching or reading what is said here. To suggest something illegal to someone can get someone into trouble.

    If you are going to use something, you need to use this one for ships. They have another one. They are bomb proof, legal, and designed to be used in shippy water. If the urinal needs a 1/2" supply, take a normal supply with 1/2" in the bottom. They are all 1 1/2 at the top with the rubber vacuum breaker.
  • ugeuge Member Posts: 6
    Try using a piston type flush valve rather than one with a diaphram.
Sign In or Register to comment.


It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!