Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for a direct vent oil burner -

Options
KGMSR
KGMSR Member Posts: 1
Hi All,

I'm looking to put in a direct vent oil burner and I would like to know if there's a list of questions I should be asking.

It will be a new install with anticipated baseboard heat as my home uses a mix of rinnai heaters which in reality don’t heat the house well.

From the posts that I’m reading Riello seem to have a better following?

Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Comments

• heathead
    heathead Member Posts: 234
    Options
    Buderus

We put in Buderus with a Rellio oil burner which is an 83% direct vent, no chimney needed and fresh air intake. The old chimney used to go right 20 feet then up, never could get great drafting without draft inducers and all sorts of problems.  Make sure they follow the instruction to a t.  It has been a great little unit. Everything including the terminations  come in a kit and has post and pre-purge built into the unit. The logomatic has also been great just wish I could adjust more parameters in it.  It took some set up on the combustion meters for it to work as it should but once it did it is great.  They now have a blue flame burner higher combustion % , I would look into that. The installer has to be certified to get the blueflame burner.    Remember heat loss is the first thing, don't oversize. If natural gas was available I would do that in a heart beat.  I would also  look into a heat pump.  I might add one latter as not to heat with oil alone because of the high price per gallon.   
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
    Options
    I use to install....

a bunch of these.... More problems that I care to mention. I wouldn't install another no matter who makes them. Buderus to Utica...no thanks.

The colder it gets the more problems you have w/ the oil atomizing well. Cross contamination/ reversion is another issue not to mention soot around the vent.

Install a good chimney or if the chimney is old, line it.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Sidewall Power Venting:

There may be balanced draft, direct vent oil burners that work. They don't work in all places.

My limited experience is that sidewall power venting was far superior to a chimney that had poor draft characteristics.  If you install a decent properly sized sidewall power venter, it is far better than a leaky 3-sided chimney of a long unlined one. If you are in a location where draft can have extremes, you're better off with a Sidewall Power venter.  At least you will have consistent draft. The ones that have problems are usually not properly set up with analyzers.

Some people are so conservative, they would rather die than change. Yet, they jump to PEX, truly garbage. But it works. Side Wall venting works too. Sometimes. it will be your only option left.  
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    d.v. burner

First of all are you just looking for a direct vent burner or a boiler combination. If you already have a boiler it must be designed as a direct vent unit. I am guessing by the rest of your post you are looking for a complete boiler with burner.

I have installed Buderus g115 with Riello burners, Burnham MPO with Beckett NX,  Weil Mclain ultra oil with Beckett NX,  and Burnham Le with Beckett AF11. They all run excellant with no sooting. In fact, the Weil Mclain is in my own house.The burner is very noisy though despite what is advertised.

The only issue I have had is with the Riello burner and the Fields ft6 (I think) termination. The intake and exhaust is so close that if the wind is blowing the exhaust can be picked right up and the Riello will shut down right away, but then immediately restart. This can definitely lead to some sooting problems. This one is a case where a different termination is needed if you are prone to winds on it.

Not sure if you are East coast or not, but it sure seems the guys on the East coast sure seem to have a lot more issues with burners. My guess is the equipment is a lot older and the fuel is a lot nastier. We just don't seem to have the same problems here.

Rick