Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

17-1/2 ton evaporator weight.

Options
Hey guys!

My company is bidding an evaporator replacement for a Trane YCD210 (17-1/2 ton). We are having a hard time getting a straight answer from Trane Aftermarket on how much the coil weighs. The folks behind the counter only seem to be able to give us the shipping weight, which is 750#. I have seen every end of this coil myself. And unless they are making the new coil from cast iron, there has to be an awful lot of packaging on this thing. We need to know if this coil is light enough to be moved by 2 men. The cost difference in cranes & permits is in the thousands. I am pretty certain I can move it with another guy, but the salesman wants to be 100%.

Comments

• meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Maybe.

While it doesn't weigh 750 lbs (that would be the weight of the whole air handler), the coil only, will weigh around 200 lbs and be fairly awkward to carry.We just replaced the coil only in a 15 ton Trane air handler.  Due to the location inside a bank, we had to hand carry it. 

If this is just a coil replacement, I would recommend at least 3 people to be safe.  If this is the whole air handler, you could always break it down into sections and carry it piece at a time, but it is still a job for 3 or 4 guys just to keep it safe.  Remember, you only have one back.  Don't wreck it while you are young, just to save a few bucks.

Good Luck.