Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

President

Kewanee
Kewanee Member Posts: 1
Background Information:

We are working on a project that will be taking a building off central steam plant and installing one new boiler and one used boiler and duplex boiler feed pump.  The boilers are manufactured by Hurst Boiler.  They are forced draft boilers.  One is a 30 hp and the other is 40 hp.  They will operate at approximately 8 psi. 

The problem:

We only have 84" from the concrete pad to the rafters in the basement.  The steam outlet on the 30 hp boiler is 59" from the pad and the 40 hp boiler is 72" from pad to steam outlet.  In order to make a header and have enough room to pipe into the top of the header, the header will be very low (maybe only 10" above the water line on the 40 hp boiler) 

The questions:

1.) Will that be enough room to prevent any problems?

2.) Do you see any problems with unequal water lines?

Thank you,

Bob

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Header

Whew, that's cutting it close. A drop header is essential here. I would use an oversized header and maybe even oversized boiler risers to accommodate the extra water in the piping. The drop header can be any height above the water line, but I wouldn't go any less than 10".
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Not sure how the boilers are oriented

but if they are crossways to the joists, you might be able to tuck the risers into the joist space and then drop down for the header.

I'd seriously consider a slab cut and a well, at least for the larger boiler.