Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Summer shutdown notes

Options
Maine Vent
Maine Vent Member Posts: 130
Well after a brutal, long, cold, winter & spring here in Maine I finally got to summer shutdown.

Still need to get my service Tech over for burner check.

Burned a lot of NG this year, but we were warm.

My VXT measured between 1 & 2 gallons of make up water.

Flushed boiler, and 2 condensate sections for about 3 hours, water was finally nice and clear.

I would like to of tried the WAND TECHNIQUE but I was gun shy on taking out the bottom plug. I tried, but will wait for the Tech. who knows and has the right wrench.

Thanks again for years of valuable insight, and Dan's Books.

Pass on your knowledge, to other steamers, no matter what your knowlwdge.
Weil McLean SGO4, Riello Gas Burner
404 sq ft EDR
Old Burnham V8 Removal

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options
    Water

From what I've seen I use between 1 and 1.5 gallons of water per heating season.  I used to use less, until I switched to Gorton vents on all radiators and added a lot more venting.  I suspect all of my water loss is via venting as we all know the air coming out of the system is very humid.

If you think about how many times a system breaths per day,  for example on a typical cold day my system breaths out at least 48 times a day.  So my opinion is, the faster you vent, and the more cycles you run the more water you will use.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment