Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with RTU replacement......

Hi,

I'm usually in the main wall or radiant section but I am faced with replacing my RTU due to hail damage, (can no longer comb the fins without breaking them).

One contractor is quoting an american standard/ trane unit AYSC092F3EH & another is quoting a Daikin DCG090210B. Both are similar in capacity & specs from 2 reputable contractors. There is a BIG difference in price though, like the A S unit is almost double the Daikin.

i am looking for some input as to the quality & reliability & which unit is a better choice long term, I own the building also.

PS both units will be installed with Hail Guards so this doesn't happen again.....

Thank You in advance for your input

Tim
Winter Park, CO & Arvada, CO

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    RTU

That's a big difference, I would ask each contactor .Each contractor is apples to apples?  including, curb adaptor, electric, gas, rigging, econo, and others?
  • Tim Potter
    Tim Potter Member Posts: 273
    Thats a big difference....

Yep, its apples to apples on the roof, includes tax, permits - everything.

Is there a big difference in quality between them?

Thank You for the reply
  • Matt_67
    Matt_67 Member Posts: 286
    What kind of unit is being replaced?

What kind of unit is being replaced?  I believe the Daikin units have the same footprint as some of the old carriers and may not require a curb adapter.  I almost wonder if one contractor is pulling the old curb, reworking the drops and patching the roof and the other contractor is just pulling one unit and setting another right back on the existing curb.  That would be a big difference in price.
  • Tim Potter
    replacing....

The building originally had an airtemp unit from the mid 70's. Lennox unit went on in 2003 with formed duct work to meet the original roof penetration.

both contractors are using curb adaptors & getting rid of the exposed ductwork on the roof.

whats the quality like in the Daikin DCG series??

Thank You:

Tim
  • Tim Potter
    edited May 2014
    upon further review...

I researched the Daikin unit further, & found Daikin purchased Goodman. The unit quoted is a re-badge of a Goodman RTU. The goodman number would be: CPG0902103****

What experiences has anyone had of Goodman RTU's????

If its a solid unit, I would feel comfortable having it installed.

Thank You,

Tim
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options

Personally I'd skip a Goodman made RTU. Since you're using a curb adapter anyway, you can use just about anything though some matches make for some pretty hideous curb adapters. American Standard and Trane have some pretty premium packaged units and will be pretty pricey.  At 7.5 ton I'd want a 2 compressor unit for staging and humidity control. I'd look into a Lennox K series for a mid priced reliable unit. Rheem RTUs aren't too bad either. 
  • Tim Potter
    OK

So, I take it the Goodman / Daikin unit isn't the top of the line...

But since its national "Doughnut Day", & not to talk price, but...... so lets say the Goodman unit is valued at 9 doughnuts installed & the AS/Trane unit is 16 doughnuts. I'm just wondering if the difference in doughnuts in the cost of the units or in the cost of install & does that increase seem worth it in the long run. again they both appear to be spec'd right, yes both are 2 compressor units both are 2 stage heat, both are installed on curb adapters with permits & tax included.

I'm in the Tire business, & Mr Customer while both of the tires seem black & round there really is a difference in the tires, the china made 90.00 tire will wear out WAY faster than the Goodyear 160.00 tire to put in tire guy terms

Thank You for your input

Tim
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    other choices

There are choices whose donuts are between Daikin and Trane.  I made the suggestion of a Lennox K series or a Rheem that should fall in the middle and be decent products. 
  • Tim Potter
    Update

So I called the 9 Doughnut guy, & asked him if he could also bid a Lennox &/or the AS/Trane units, WAY more was his reply, I"ll get back to you was my reply. The 16 Doughnut man wanted to see the 9k bid just to make sure we were apples to apples, we were, & he went to his supplier & got a WAY better price, dropped his labor some too, & got the job.

Thanks for all the input guys,

Cheers:

Tim