Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LP Dryer

NYplumber
NYplumber Member Posts: 503
Have a client who asked that I install a washer and dryer in his upstate weekend home. Haven't seen the jobsite since its some ways from where I work but did get pictures.

Let me preface that I installed LP appliances as a whole but never ran the line.

When adding a dryer to the home and running the line, how do I size the line, and are any regulators needed before the appliance?

Thanks
:NYplumber:

Comments

• Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,034
    gas dryer sizing

Sizing a gas dryer is not any different than any other gas appliance. You determine the input BTU/hr. rating of the appliance along with all the other gas appliances in the home then run a Longest Run method calculation as shown in the gas codes and GAMA tables. Each appliance comes with its own regulator to modulate the pressure to the burners. You will need an approved terminal within 6 feet of the appliance with an approved shutoff. From there, you can use an approved flexible appliance connector properly sized, up to 6 feet long for dryers. Do not reuse flex connectors or flare fittings. You are not required to provide a sediment trap at the shutoff (often erroneously referred to as a "drip leg" or "dirt leg") but they are still a great idea.

You would not need a Medium Pressure regulator upstream of the appliance unless the house is provided with a 2psi gas system. In that case, you would need an approved shutoff and sediment trap immediately upstream of the regulator then another trap or other approved access point immediately downstream of the regulator. The reg. would need to be supported on both sides and have a ground union to allow removal. The MP regulator must have an approved vent limiter if located in a ventilated space or an approved vent to the outdoors if located in an unventilated space. You must have sufficient space to pull the appliance out and still get to the gas piping and rear of the appliance for service.

Follow your codes on venting. In general, plan on 26 ga. galv. single walled duct with male ends downstream joined with UL181 a/b-fx tape-no screws. May use flexible transition duct from appliance to rigid only, max 8 ft., cannot penetrate walls or floors and must be listed to UL 2158A which few are.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Also:

Also,

Most gas dryers sold today come natural gas and need to be converted. If it needs a conversion kit, make sure that it is there. Or else, it is inside the  unit and it is easy to do. No more difficult than a gas stove.

But you probably knew that. Just in case someone else reading doesn't.
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Thanks

Thanks for the tips. Installs just like a natural gas appliance.
    :NYplumber: