Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ductless vs ACID vs SightGlass/MoistureIndicator vs Suction FilterDriers

R22 &r410A have pretty normal procedurers  for detecting moisture( SG/MI)( close your eyes Spence) and then cleaning up any moisture before it causes ACIDS, then also cleanup rules and regs for  getting rid of any ACID'S that gets created . What does your "Ductless Split" mfrg have to say about that?!?! What do they say about SGMI & FD's in the first place????

Comments

• NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    curious

Great question. With so many minisplit systems getting installed incorrectly, there most likely will be a requirement for a dryer install during a service.

Some split units have only a low pressure tap for gauges. Others have a high side too. I wonder if the ones with L/H taps can have the dryers while the others cant. Just a thought.

Please keep us informed.
    :NYplumber:
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Well

A little birdie once told me that some manufacturers, just simply don't approve products made by other manufacturers, for use in their systems. Regardless if they work or not.

Switching subjects, a product I have recently been researching has taken some unexpected twists. Apparently there are some very large manufacturers who use this product at their factories for assembly, but refuse to formally approve the use of this product in their systems.

I found that to be mildly interesting.

Harvey
  • Spence
    Spence Member Posts: 316
    Sight Glass

Cupcake.
  • Coany
    Coany Member Posts: 91
    the liquid line, stricly speaking isn't, in most ductless systems

so mosly they instruct you not to use either.

the smaller refrigerant line is acually part of the cold coil since its after the metering device.

this is why, as I have always understood it, they tell you not to use sight glasses or liquid line filter/dryers.
    " Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Teddy Roosevelt
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited June 2014
    Ductless vs Acid

What do you do when there is a burnout on a ductless system? You change out the comp and ? Ductless are not immune to having/creating acids which kill comp's . I know about the little line being lo side and insulated, so a LLFD is out . Has anyone heard of repeated comp failurers on Ductless Split's ? Why not a SG/MI on the little line? There is no "restriction" to a SG/MI.