Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

bathroom baseboard

bhop2920
bhop2920 Member Posts: 8
Im replacing baseboard in a bathroom because the covers are rusted out do they sell a baseboard that is rust resistant so this doesn't happen again?

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    although some

claim that they won't, haven't seen it yet. Haydon makes a pretty good rust resistant baseboard. Peeguard I think? Best to request that all that use the throne be seated :)
  • Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    Here is one....

Don't know if any of your local suppliers stock Haydon... The covers are also thicker than standard and come with a LEC and REC (end covers)

http://www.2haydon.com/index.php?P=heatbase_758P
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited May 2014
    Pee proof bathroom baseboard:

I always avoided installing baseboard next to toilets. It saves wear and tear on the male members of the household. It keeps the commentary about bas aim to a minimum. I always used toe kick heaters under cabinets. Made the bathrooms warmer.

Slant Fin has offered a special baseboard for bathroom locations, but I think that they now consider all their baseboard as pee proof.

If it is Slant Fin, it is easy to replace the covers and leave the old element in place, especially if the baseboard is screwed to the wall and not nailed with that dreadful tool they used to offer.

https://www.slantfin.com/index.php/products/baseboard-residential/fine--line-30

Nothing is rust proof.

Look at what happens to outside refrigeration/AC compressor housings when dogs use it as a marking station.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Towel Bar

Put in a towel bar radiator and avoid the "pee on the BB" syndrome
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    I have a rental property

that the baseboard is about 4 inches from the toilet and this thing was constantly rusted, every year or so it needs a cover...

So I painted the entire cover assembly {a rusted one I didn't even sand the rust off} with this stuff called POR-15, I used the silver and it came great and now has been there for 5 years and still looks new,,, The por is self leveling so I just brushed it on over the rust both sides of the covers and it looked new, and still does... that stuff is amazing...
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    good to know

That's what I love about this site, I seem to pickup tidbits of knowledge every day.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    powdercoating?

I wonder how it would stand up in that environment?  Seems like overkill, but the cost of having it done has dropped dramatically!
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • TomS
    TomS Member Posts: 62
    Neat Heat covers

These non metallic covers never rust.

http://www.wayfair.com/Neat-Heat-Baseboard-Covers-C544847.html
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Tinkling:

Way back in the last century, before I was self employed, the boss had a customer. There was a poet in the family that used to leave cute notes all over to remind people of things. There was one on the toilet.

If you sprinkle when you tinkle,

Please be neat and wipe the seat.

There was another one about leaving the seat up but I don't remember that one.

No matter what you make baseboard heaters out of, if someone sprinkles when they tinkle, it can't be wiles up and its going to be a problem.

Another sign that I often put on walls behind toilets after I replaced the lift pump was one I saw in a lot of boats.

If you didn't eat it first,

Don't flush it down.

White mice with cotton tails and other cotton products along with brown paper towels can create expensive repairs on lift pumps.
  • Value4Realty
    Value4Realty Member Posts: 1
    How hard would it be for a manufacturer to make baseboard in stainless steel? This has to be a chronic issue. The heat comes from the fins not the covers so I can't imagine it being a conductivity issue.
    bob eck
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    My mom always yelled at us for rusting out her heater. She made a wooden folding guard so we wouldn't ruin the pain job