Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

DOLE Flow Control Steam Vent Model 20(?) (stainless)

Options
JuneNJ1
JuneNJ1 Member Posts: 5
Hello everyone,

Newbie here ...

I am sorry to bother you, but I have a question: I've had problems

(leaks) with my heating pipes (steam / radiator heat) this year and

have had to replace several pipes (old ones are over 50 yrs old).

Yesterday (Sunday), the air ventilator at the top of the vertical return pipe had

to be replaced because it was spitting water out and I had a pool of water on

the basement floor.. Apparently there was a tiny leak in the casing? I don't know

for sure. My heating/plumbing company charged me $97 for the replacement,

and service guy said I was getting a bargain because it should cost $400, so

I looked stuff up online. I have a service contract so there was no labor charge.

The service guy was very nice; all their service guys are great.

The 'broken' one is brass-color Gorton Air Eliminator Main Vent  #1 - which I

found on eBay for under $20. I'm attaching a stock photo of the GORTON.

The stainless steel replacement says DOLE Flow Control Steam Vent Model

20? I couldn't quite make out the model number, so not 100% sure about the 20).

Also attaching a stock image of something resembling the DOLE (stainless).

I couldn't find one onine that looks exactly like the DOLE. It's round, not cylindrical.

I think it has some Patent #s on it but I was too tired last night to try to read them.

The vent / valve face with the info on it is facing away from where I can read it

properly.

I can't challenge their $97 charge w/o info. I know they have to make a profit; I know

there's always some mark-up. But $97 for a $20 part? As I said,  I have a service

contract, so there was no labor charge. Just $97 for a valve.

If you can, PLEASE help identify the part, so I can at least have some info

when I question the exorbitant mark-up.

thank you ...

June (New Jersey)

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Price

We don't discuss pricing here, but I can tell you that it costs me almost $200 per hour to operate and maintain my business in NJ. Every company has different policies and mark-ups based on their own overhead.

This sounds like the pricing scheme of the puke-green colored company.
  • JuneNJ1
    Options
    DOLE etc.

Thank you. I wasn't looking for a price; just an identification for the vent.

It's not a puke-green company - this is a large navy blue company.

Last October and November, I spent $646 each for two pipe replacements.

Last week, it cost me $909.50 for a pipe and a half replacement.

And this past Wednesday, it cost me $590 to replace the vertical return pipe.

Plus the $97 for the vent.

I am on a fixed income, very limited, and these pipe replacements are pretty

much cleaning out my emergency money. I have nothing against a company

turning a profit; that's the way businesses remain afloat, I understand that.

I just feel rather taken advantage of, in this case.

June
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    service contract problems

go to pexsupply.com, and look for the Gorton air eliminator #2, [the best one for your application] and make a note of its price. then you can challenge the charge of the service company.

does the service contract provide free labor, but charge for parts?

you may be better off using a local steam man on a time and materials basis.

I suspect your pressure may have risen out of hand, due to bad servicing from them, and that is the cause of all the leaks lately.--NBC
  • JuneNJ1
    Options
    Service is good to excellent, actually.

Thank you.

The service contract covers most  parts, but not all. I believe it covers all labor.

It's a good contract, and has saved me money in the long run.

My family has been with this company (in its various incarnations) since the early '50s,

when they were a small local company selling fuel and ice - as in, ice for iceboxes. 

They tend to be pricey, but I really like their service guys, and I don't  want to shop around

for a new oil heat and plumbing company at this time. I'm not sure how I would find a 'local

steam man' - you mean an independent contractor? The guys who have replaced the pipes

do great work, and they're really good guys. They don't set the prices, so my issue isn't with

them at all.

The pipes in this house are over 50 years old; we moved here in 1964 and these pipes are

the same ones that were here when we moved here. And they probably go back even further,

perhaps another 10 - 20 years prior to 1964. The leaks don't surprise me .... I'm not thrilled

about spending all the money to replace them, but it is necessary,  so I can deal with it;  I'll

take my lumps and get it done, albeit piece-meal at this stage.

I know I sound like I'm whining, but I was just so taken aback by the price of the vent.

Especially when I saw the old [Gorton] one listed (new) on a *popular auction

site*  for under $20.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Leaks

We take care of systems that are 100 years old that don't have leaky pipes. There is usually a reason for the leaks. Is there any copper piping in the system? Are all pipes pitched properly?
  • JuneNJ1
    edited April 2014
    Options
    old pipes etc.

Wow, over 100 years old?  That's amazing.  This house is old enough to still

have the (closed up) pipe ends sticking out of the wall, from the original gas

lights. I believe the house was constructed sometime in the early 1900's,

but I don't know exactly what year. The boiler that was here when we moved

in (1964)  was a gigantic green monstrosity, brand name ARCO.

These pipes are not copper. There is some copper piping, but those are

related to the water system (which is not fueled by oil).  I believe everything

is pitched properly; the service guy talked abou that when he replaced the

vent, and you can actually see that the pipes are pitched.

Anyway, one thing: I honestly did not come here to complain, although I did,

but I had to explain the events leading up to the $97 vent, and my frustration

kind of came out, along with the info. I do apologize for that.

I have decided NOT to question the company's price because it's just not worth

the aggro, and if the service guy did indeed cut me a break, I do not want to get

him into any hot water (pardon the bad pun, I couldn't resist).  I'll eat the cost and

chalk it all up to experience - live and learn.

My MAIN reason for posting here was / is to accurately identify the DOLE vent;

I'm going to try and get more info off the face (?) of it, to help in any identification.

I appreciate everyone's input, and I will be back later with (hopefully) more

details about the Dole vent.
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Switch companies

If I was you I would switch companies.

You asked them to come over, you asked them to fix the problems witch they did.

Was the company over your house with in 48 hours.

Did they ever leave you in the cold?
  • JuneNJ1
    Options
    Okay with the company ... for now.

They came over promptly, on a Sunday, no less. Yes, the problem was fixed.

Overall, I am satisfied with the company and their service and staff. I'm not

looking to switch at this time (although I have thought about it in the past).

I didn't get down to the basement to get more info from the Dole vent because

of  my back  (I pulled something last week) -  the stairs are daunting right now.

I'm probably fine with the Gorton vent; I could just buy an extra one to have handy

in the future, if necessary. He already had the Dole in the van, so he used that one.

Again, I am sorry for complaining; there's just been so much to deal with this year,

as far as the pipes and what-not.  It's a bit overwhelming sometimes.