Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Intermittent issue with Pressuretrol

Options
Having an intermittent issue with my boiler that feeds two apartments and one store front.  It kicks out and I have to tap on the Pressuretrol to get it to turn back on.  It's a model L404F 1367.  I had a contractor come out twice and all they did was tap on it like i've been.  Any guidance is greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• Joe V_2
    Joe V_2 Member Posts: 234
    Options
    What a nuisance.

I would try adjusting the main scale all the way up, down and back to where it was to see if you can drive out any slop in the pressuretrol. Then, just because it is easy to do, I would make sure the pig tail it is mounted on is clean all the way thru.  A clogged pig tail usually let's the boiler operate at higher than desired pressures but before I spent money, I would check it anyway.  It's free.   If that is no help, I would just replace the pressuretrol.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Pigtail

More often than not the pigtail that the Pressuretrol is mounted on is plugged with gunk. Take the Pressuretrol off, make sure the little pin hole on the underside is clean, take the pigtail off and clean it out good. Make sure the opening that it is mounted to is also open.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    Bulky pressuretrol

While you have the pressuretrol disconnected, for pigtail cleaning, see if the linkage inside seems to move freely. Maybe a bit of lubrication is needed. Also check the tightness of the electrical crimped on connections. Why don't they put led tell tail lights on all the safety controls, so you can see at a glance what state they are in?

I would change the settings to 2 with a diff of .5.--NBC
  • Rumblermike
    Rumblermike Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Pigtail - Pressuretrol Removal

Thanks for the responses.  Is there anything I need to know to remove the pressuretrol? Electrical? Shut off boiler switch?  Any recomendations for cleaning the pigtail?  WD40?  Blaster?  Grease?  Thanks!
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Turn Boiler off

As a matter of safety, flip the switch on the boiler to off. There are two wires that need to be disconnected inside the Pressuretrol. Just take those off so you can turn the pressuretrol off of the pigtail. Then remove the pigtail and blow through it and wash out with water. Don't use any oils or cleaning agents. You don't want any residue to contaminate your boiler water.It is a simple cleaning routine that you should try and do at least once a year or whenever the Pressuretrol starts to act up.
  • Rumblermike
    Rumblermike Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Wish me luck

I will give that a shot.  Sounds easy enough.  Thanks