Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Installing new taller uncased indoor coil in older casement

Options
Replacing the heat pump outside and need to replace the older indoor coil inside. The physical measurements of the old case is 26" wide X 21"deep X 22" high.The height of old encased coil (Lennox C23-51/65) is shorter and the new uncased Goodman coil CAF4961 6D is taller and will extend above the old encasement into the area where the ducts with dampers lead to the rooms. The length and width are good. The top of the ducts hit the ceiling, so there is not a lot of room there.There is approximately 6 to 7 inches between the top of the new coil and the ceiling rafters. Is this acceptable? I want to try to keep the larger coil that is matched with the out door unit. Thanks

Comments

• don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    larger coil

Assuming this is up-flow A coil and the extra six inches is not blocking any of your take off you should be fine,However I would check static pressure  to manuf blower performance and see if the coil change gave you more cfm or less then what is needed.

Those A coil are not as bad on pd that the N coil can are.If I recall all of goodman case coils extend pass the casing.

I often wonder if they keep making these coil surface area larger where do they think we are going to find the room to install them.Heck we all know newer home are not design to house equipment or duct work for that matter.Builders want all the realestate they can get, equipment manuf want to achieve the highest seer rating they can get, then they turn to us for the impossible.Life will never change for us guys.It will always be the hvac guys fault and problem.

Sorry I went off on a rant but I run into the same problem you are having to often.Carry on