Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

who is this Mr Pex guy

jonny88
jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
HI,I just lost out on a radiant job.It was 2200 sqft under a slab.I proposed using viega as i know they are a reliable product but my competitor is using Mr Pex.

I dont know much about their product and am hesitant to use in case of failures etc.Has anyone had experience with it and how is their quality.Thanks,feedback greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    PEX

You probably didn't lose the job because you use Viega. The difference in cost is pennies per foot. Mr. Pex is a reliable product and the company was founded by a former engineer at Wirsbo/Uponor. I use the product and can attest to its quality. They have a 25 year warranty and a quality sales staff.

Most competitive bids go to the lowest bidder. The lowest bidder usually does less and the cost of the tubing is relative to what the estimator thinks the job is worth. Most residential radiant "bid" projects do not take into account the cost of overhead to the contractor, which is usually the difference in bid wars. I wouldn't lose any sleep over the loss. I'd bet the other guy's price would still be lower, even if you specified Mr. Pex.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    I agree with Paul,

you didn't lose the job because of the materials...

I noticed with the exception of a few companies, the prices of equipment between brands are closer than most assume... I can buy a 95% goodman or airtemp unit for around 15% less than a Carrier or Trane but the cost for me to install them is almost identical... So if {for round numbers} and a furnace cost $1000 the other materials were 1000 and I charged $2000 to install it, buying a more expensive furnace would only cost an extra $150... Now does it always work that way? probably not, does the homeowner always pick the least expensive proposal ? probably not... I learned long ago not to get hurt feelings for losing a bid, just move on to the next one, do good work, and your customers will get good value..

I will sometimes give a customer 2 or 3 price ranges, one is using the least expensive materials and for lack of a better term "cutting the corners" that can be cut with out sacrificing safety or code conformity...

for example- I could install a steel drybase boiler with a tankless water heater, no isolation flanges, no unions, reusing as much of their existing system as possible... for x amount...

or I could install a cast iron wetbase with a coil, iso flanges, all new parts and near boiler piping, ect for XX amount

or I can install a triple pass boiler with an indirect, iso flanges, primary secondary piping, ODR kit, outdoor air intake, all new parts and near boiler piping, ect for XXX amount...

its up to the customer to compare apples to apples...

Another way to do proposals {I dont do it because it gets confusing, but I have friends that prefer it, is to rite abse proposal and then add on items, so you can start at $3000, then add a b and c for an additional 1000 1400 1800 ect...

I find the best way to get proposals signed is to talk to the customer, hand deliver proposals, check jobs your self {as the owner of the company}, shake their hand and explain the difference in person from your work and the competitions...

But anyway, sell what you are comfortable with and have experience with, explain to your customer that you install brand X and have X amount of experience with it and will not change materials on them just to save a few bucks...
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Mr. PEX tubing

is PEX-A, good stuff, and a good company to deal with.  We use it with Uponor F1960 EP fittings.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    thanks guys for your info

it was the viega guy who I suppose scared me into not using their product.I do like however the design etc that viega provides,does Mr Pex also provide this.I am definitly going to give it a try on my next job.Thanks again8
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    PEX-A is a superior product

and can be used with any fitting system which works with PEX-B.  Try it -- I suspect you'll appreciate the increased flexibility.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Mr. Pex

is quality tubing and is probably the most flexible of all the brands .  It is Pex-a and can be used with lots of fitting systems . It is also a fact that it is an offshoot company of Uponor , just look at where it is manufactured in relation to Apple Valley .  Don't be scared to do it right either , you too will come to terms with getting less jobs than others then you can charge a premium to fix them if it is even possible , at least you can say that your stuff is the best and sleep at night .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • knotgrumpy
    knotgrumpy Member Posts: 211
    What do you mean?!

I AM MR. PECS!