Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Stinkbugs

Options
RobG
RobG Member Posts: 1,850
I'm just trying to find out the geographic areas affected by stinkbugs. For the last five years give or take ladybugs have gotten horrible in my area (Winchester, Va), they get into air inlets, combustion chambers, you name it they're in it. But for the last three or so years stinkbugs have entered the equation and multiplied the problem, They cause problems you wouldn't anticipate, I found a stinkbug in between the contacts on a relay the other day. How far across the country is this an issue? Or do you have other critters?

Rob

Comments

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Chicago

I've seen them recently in the Chicago area. I didn't know what it was at first.
    Steve Minnich
  • alotlikeearl
    alotlikeearl Member Posts: 68
    Options
    They're here!

We have had them here in the Roanoke, VA area for a number of years.  The  critter we have the most problem with in contacts is earwigs.  Amazing how many times we find them causing issues.

Jerry
  • BillW
    BillW Member Posts: 198
    Options
    Stinkbugs, spiders and ladybugs (Oh my!)

These stinky pests are here in NJ in herds. In some areas they are at biblical plague levels. They like fireplace flues, especially those that don't get used much. Just open the damper, and they "magically" appear. Any combustion or other air intake needs a smaller critter screen than before, since ladybugs and young stinkers are smaller than the usual 1/4 X1/4 mesh. That brings another problem, and that is that finer mesh gets clogged easily with grass clippings, dryer lint and other stuff, so keep it clean. Another issue are these tiny spiders that like to spin their webs in the gas jets of dormant BBQ grills, and sometimes even inside smoke detectors, causing nuisance alarms or "puff-backs" when the grill is fired up for the first time. Clean the burners before you light you grill. Stinkbugs are attracted to light, and you can make an effective trap by cutting the top off a plastic soda bottle, inverting it like a funnel into the bottle, and tape it in with scotch tape. Place it on a battery powered light source in an attic or crawl space, and it will catch the bugs. Even better, put the light & bottle in a box with a couple glue traps in it, and you should get a lot of them. Just throw it all into the trash and reuse the light source. Pesticides don't seem to have much effect on stinkbugs. Unfortunately, stomping them is like kicking a skunk; it doesn't work well!
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Boxelders

anyone??
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    Bugs

I found a stinkbug inside a water tight receptacle box one time. Don't ask because I don't know either. They come through my area in droves.

Where I grew up we had a couple Box Elder trees. They would get covered with box elder bugs. All up on the side of the house and everywhere. At least they didn't stink.

Harvey
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Box Elders

used to be common around here.  Siberian Elms and Alianthus have beaten them pretty badly in most places.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    I have them

I work in North Central Maryland and they are crazy there.  I live in South Central Pennsylvania and didn't have them at my house until I got that job, now they are everywhere inside my house!  Total infestation.  Oh and think on this one they weren't in the US until 2001 or so.  I think we should round up some of our worst bugs and send them back...see how the other side of the ocean likes an invasion.  lol
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • JeffM
    JeffM Member Posts: 182
    Options
    southern NH

The stink bugs are up here in New England too - we have had lots of them in our office in Southern New Hampshire the last two years.
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    Options
    Dear lord, does anyone proofread any more?

Moreover, how is a person with this low a literacy level allowed to work in journalism?
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    West Coast

Paul, are you seeing stinkbugs and ladybugs on the west coast?

Rob
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Ohio

We started seeing them here in Ohio in the last year.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Nope

No Shtinkbugs here in the NW. West of the Cascades, even mosquitos are rare, except in the rainforests. Lots of ladybugs.