Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas fired direct vent fireplaces advice

clammy
clammy Member Posts: 3,100
I have piped in a few and some log sets , but now my dad has been bugging me to install one for him he's getting up there in years and feels cold alot   ,I really have no experence with brands if any one can shoot in the right direction it would be helpfull .I know he has  got the heat cranked and is boiling my mom out and i know from comfort side with his health condition he would have no complaints if he had radiant but it s a crawl space with extremly small single entrance in a bad spot .As much as i dread it i 'll end up there doing  staple up that will be another time .Any info will help thanks peace and good lucl clammy
R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Old & Cold:

Its tough when old people get cold. They have trouble regulating their temperatures, Nursing homes keep their temperatures around 74 degrees.

I would consider putting the zone he spends the most time in on a separate heating zone. That way, you don't overheat the whole house.

How is his thyroid? Low thyroid levels will make people feel very cold.

I would put in a Rannai gas wall heater in the room before I ventured into radiant floor heat. They are reasonably priced, easy to install, are direct vent, and work really well. They work with a remote like the TV.

If you know anyone that works in a nursing home, ask them. They have all kinds of tricks to help the stay warm.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,100
    it s zoned

It's zoned allready but it s got a crawl space and the flooris insulated .i think he needs that radiant feel of warmth you gey from a fire place .the radiant floor is the real ticket ,but times are tough and it would be a streach for me materal wise to pull off plus i never charge my mom n dad if i do it s kibble and bits usually not even close to the materal cost just the way i am .They already got a little buderus gaser there so no biggie on that side but the tubing n re insulating properly w a tiny in floor 14 x20 access is rough .looking at some lennox units but not a huge fan of there other products mainly cause i see so many sub par installs kinda turns me off as bottom feeds and low ballers seem to use alot just me though .thanks ice peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Plate radiators

work well for this.  With a bit of planning, you can pre-insulate and fish PEX into place.  Oversize the rad and install a TRV so he can dial in his temp.