Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex

Options
Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
What's your choice of pex vs what does your main supply carry vs support or training on there product.

Mine are viega, wirsbo then zern.

When the viega started in my supply house I purchased the press gun right away (compact) with about 400 dollars worth of fittings. So I had the press gun all I needed where the jaws so that's a no brainer, now I have bigger gun and the mega press.

One day I was in my local joghnstone supply house and they had a brochure for training on boiler piping at the warehouse for taco which also does wirsbo so I go a lot for wirsbo training but never bought the tools for it. I do like the plastic rings that expand but dint by the tool for it which I would do if I got a nice job using the wirsbo line.

Zern is my third supply house, general plumbing supply. I never had to buy it but i see it's sold at radiant floor.com sells it so I go to some jobs to put there equipment together.

Comments

• heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Options
    Wirsbo pex

I used to use Roth but the local support has disappeared since they moved from south county to NY, I use wirsbo and either crimp rings or expansion depending on which I feel like using, but always wirsbo/uponor pex... I have a bunch of tools, viega, solid ring, ect but throughout the years I have to say uponor has been the most reliable product and easiest to use...
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited March 2014
    Options
    PEX-A for sure

Uponor AquaPEX for plumbing -- like the availability of colors (including purple.)  F1960 fittings mostly from Uponor (the EP fittings are immune to our hard water and have essentially zero theft potential) plus a few from Sioux Chief and Dahl Brothers.

Nobody in the entire southern half of our state stocks barrier PEX.  Given that we have to ship it in, we recently started buying Mr. PEX, (nicer pricing than hePEX.)
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Wirsbo poly fittings

the brass fittings are mostly wirsbo washing machine or ice maker boxes ,

some Dhal valves and Souix Chief fittings for Wirsbo , for header 90 1/4 turn valves ,

and the straight copper to wirsbo adaptors for modifying moen valves on the water side ,

the reducing and threaded adaptors for some aps like expansion tank fittings , when it comes to pipe i pretty much stick with he pex or water Aqua Safe pex from them and Rehau for zone distinctions for hot and cold water distinction, The red ones Hot .

the white ones , cold. sorta deal . i have no problem with red and blue for either , by the way, for potable water . (1" > 1/2) i have the heads for 3/4 5/8 and 3/8th too . in a manual pumpher upper kit.

i would not have any qualms with the Mr Pex either were it available . i prefer the wirsbo connection system . with the expansion fittings . although i do own some Larger Rehau tool for 1 1/2" 2 " 3" 4" the larger head usually has to be re routed to Alaska for the purpose because i do not own that head as it doesnt happen to be something i find i need every day .. and to be honest, cost about as much as the entire tool..

i have some okiter fittings and squeeZer downer lol.. and some one has my old old quest pipe crimp tool , it has been hitch hying about the universe, i suppose , about 30 years or more ago ,

since it escaped ..*~/: )
  • Eastman
    Eastman Member Posts: 927
    Options
    PERT

What is the pert stuff like to work with? What's the advantage?